Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/11/16 08:33 AM
'Brutal Beauty' bobber

Not sure if this is second hand information or not but I've just looked on the Triumph website and there is a live stream of what they're calling 'Brutal Beauty' launch on 19 October 7pm GMT

There is a tank picture and reflected is what looks the bike's shadow showing a bobber-style single seat.

I imagine this is the bike from spy shots posted recently

Just put 'Triumph Brutal Beauty' in YouTube and you'll get the Triumph vid and the spy pics too.

Are those front indicators wrapped in leather??!

mert
(queenofrunonwords)
10/17/16 10:33 AM
Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber

really hard to tell what the finish is
on the front indicators. i kinda like
the drop bar end mirror.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/17/16 04:08 PM

I saw this.I don't like it much but we'll see how it is in the flesh.A bigger motor [1,200cc] cruiser would float my boat.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/18/16 01:27 AM

Quote:

A bigger motor [1,200cc] cruiser would float my boat.

There are loads of 1200cc+ cruisers ...

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/18/16 07:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A bigger motor [1,200cc] cruiser would float my boat.

There are loads of 1200cc+ cruisers ...

Not Speedmasters or Americas

My America is Beautiful.A version with the new factory 1,200cc engine,and it would be a perfect world

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/18/16 08:35 AM

Quote:

True but the world doesn't stop at Speedys or Americas!
I had a Yam XVS1300 for a couple of years. Sold it 6mths or so ago. Absolutely belting little bike.
Much faster, more comfortable and handled as well as (if not better) than my America.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/18/16 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True but the world doesn't stop at Speedys or Americas!
I had a Yam XVS1300 for a couple of years. Sold it 6mths or so ago. Absolutely belting little bike.
Much faster, more comfortable and handled as well as (if not better) than my America.

It stops with Triumph for me these days.
I had two jap bikes that I did lots of miles on and were very good,one AMF Harley that was s***,but over the years I've had four Triumphs.A T110 was my first road bike[When I was 13 a BSA Bantam "bush basher" was my first]. IF I ever get another, which would very likely be my last,it'd be a Triumph.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 01:27 AM

Quote:

AMF Harley that was s*** ...

Yeah, I'm sure that's where the 'Harley is rubbish' movement came from.
From what I've read that was a bad time for them and people never forgot that.

I'm sure the 1200 will be going into the America and Speedy and they could even keep the 865 going and add an America / Speedy 1200 to the range.

They wouldn't be the first manufacturer to have several cc models in the range by keeping the America and Speedy and having cruisers of 865 / 1200 / 1700 / 2300 capacities.

Also they seem to be happy shoving multiple models together. The Tiger and Explorer each has 8 different model variations!
And the Bonny? Christ there are 11 variations of the Bonneville name (inc America / Speedy) in one guise or another on the go at the minute so slotting a couple more in won't hurt.

They've bought back the Trophy, Thunderbird and T120 names, maybe dredge up another old name for a new 1200cc bike.
How about a new Trident or Adventurer ? Hell, why not the Tina ?!

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 02:58 AM

They could call it the T110.That way I'd have come full circle.

My mate had an XLCH 1974 Sportster and I bought the 1974 XLH Sportster. BOTH heaps of ****.Although if they,re stripped to the bones and put together right by someone who knows what they're about, apparently they're decent enough.
Another friend has a 1430cc Harley today and it's a great bike.Big mileage.The only trouble he has had was a 40 dollar electrical sensor that caused major headaches until it was tracked down.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 03:47 AM

I think I read it was '69 to '80-odd that AMC owned H-D.
Cost cutting was the killer.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
10/19/16 04:01 AM

It was the same problem the English bikes faced in the early 70's, Workers were very unhappy with the changes put in place. AMF ramped up production without regard to QC, AMF did put a lot of money into HD, and the EVO engine was the best thing to come out of their ownership. The EVO saved Harley while the Brits did not make it... Until now of course !!!

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 04:22 AM

UK suffered from the import of better quality faster and better handling bikes from Japan and the UK bike manufacturers were too slow to even attempt to play catch up.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 06:25 AM

I bought a new 1971 Triumph Tiger.Another lemon.IMO it was that bike that nailed the lid on the UK bike coffin.We all wanted Brit./US bikes but the japs came in and did it better and cheaper.
Harleys were too expensive and the QC of Brit bikes had gone out the window by 1971.

mikemm03
(Saddle Sore)
10/19/16 12:09 PM

https://www.facebook.com/TriumphMotorcyclesGlobal/videos/1016312671812384/

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 12:41 PM

First impression - it's not quite as bad looking as I thought it was going to be.
I looked on their website at just after 7pm GMT to see the launch 'with special guests' and the link didn't work.
So much for the big launch, eh?

Ryan7771
(Oil Expert)
10/19/16 12:43 PM

Quote:

First impression - it's not quite as bad looking as I thought it was going to be

I love the front end. The rear just doesn't make any sense to me. If I wanted to do that to a Bonnie, I'd do a custom of some kind, not a factory.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 12:46 PM

Bobber

Ryan7771
(Oil Expert)
10/19/16 02:27 PM

Quote:

Bobber

I think I like it better without a rider than with a rider.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 03:06 PM

You might be right
Get one for show, put it in the corner of the man cave maybe?

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 03:59 PM

Quote:

You might be right
Get one for show, put it in the corner of the man cave maybe?

I like it, but not for me I'm afraid.Nice to ride around town.No pillion?.As you say nice for the "Man cave",1,200 engine.If I was 18 again and "strap on a sleeping bag and go" it would be ok.It's sort of the style we did "way back then".
I am disappointed there's no cruiser.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/19/16 07:48 PM

It's sorta growing on me.

http://motorbikewriter.com/triumph-bobber-floating-seat/

BillyIndiana
(3/4 Throttle)
10/19/16 08:44 PM

I like it. It is nice to see Triumph making some bold moves and the performance and handling should be awesome. Hope it makes the Sporty and Scout blink. No place for the wife so not for me, but I still like it.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/20/16 02:50 AM

One problem could be carrying stuff but I guess a back pack would do or a tank bag.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
10/20/16 03:25 AM

I think it will sell well, The Hipsters will eat it up. I'm very impressed that Triumph keeps bringing out new product that hits the mark. Bring on the new America !!

mikemm03
(Saddle Sore)
10/20/16 04:48 AM

Ok, we've seen this one. If I was 18 again, wore skinny jeans and Vans shoes, and my old man was rich......

Does anyone know when the complete new line up will be revealed? When's the annual dealer meeting?

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/20/16 06:42 AM

Quote:

The Hipsters will eat it up.

My thoughts exactly.
Us fat blokes will look a little out of place on one I think.
All the images and videos show pretty young things with perfect teeth, coiffured hair and they all seem to have the ideal lifestyle.
Granted, some bloke watching tv on the sofa in his wife beater supping a six pack of beer isn't going to sell bikes but a little more realism wouldn't hurt now, would it?
You know, blokes like Dave and Steve meeting at the café for a cuppa and a bacon sarny rather than Atticus and Lazlo (without the 's' of course), meeting up for an organic
tofu and kale smoothy topped off with a parmesan foam!!

Ryk
(Check Pants)
10/20/16 07:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

organic

You just destroyed my appetite for having breakfast this morning

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/20/16 07:24 AM

Once you start frying some bacon your appetite will soon be back

satxron
(Monkey Butt)
10/20/16 08:43 AM

Quote:

UK suffered from the import of better quality faster and better handling bikes from Japan and the UK bike manufacturers were too slow to even attempt to play catch up.

I agree, it was a shame because they had serious warnings. When the 305 Honda motor came out they should have taken note. But 1969 with the 750 Four it was over for them.

Old man Honda didn't keep it a secret. They intended to make fast, reliable and affordable bikes. They did. Harley and the British sat on their logos doing nothing to compete.

We make fun of AMF but had they not been involved for a decade the Harley name would just be in the history books. They made the HD branding and logo wear a big business. So who needs engineering to go with it.

JD13
(Adjunct)
10/20/16 09:25 AM

I don't like that bobber at all. My big fear is that they don't update the America/Speedmaster line in an attempt to push cruiser riders into the Thunderbird line.

MOTOSICKLE
(Member)
10/20/16 09:27 AM

You cry-babies...

Forget the name "goober" - thats bloody marketing-speech to make a new kind of bike sellable. If people do not know how to call - how can they speak about it?

I am sure thats it will be one hell of a bike, the engine is great and they tried to make it more rideable then poor old Amis and Speedies which where made to satisfy the american market - thats why it was called Bonneville America.

The design ist not saying "Bobber" it is screaming out lod "5t" and "Heritage" and "SpeedTwin" (that name is also reserved by Triumph, so wait for whats coming).

Look at this old beauty and say to the new one "Its not a Bobber, it's a Triumph, Baby"
Old:

New:

NIbiker
(Learned Hand)
10/20/16 02:31 PM

I would get a smack in the head from wife if I brought one of them back from the dealer. where's she going to put all her stuff?

Ryk
(Check Pants)
10/20/16 03:00 PM

Quote:

I would get a smack in the head from wife if I brought one of them back from the dealer. where's she going to put all her stuff?

All her stuff? Where are you going to put her or you if she's doing the driving?

oldroadie
(Worn Saddle)
10/20/16 03:35 PM

I like it. It has the classic rear triangle and a fine line from the rear axle to the neck. Very nice.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/20/16 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Hipsters will eat it up.

My thoughts exactly.
Us fat blokes will look a little out of place on one I think.
All the images and videos show pretty young things with perfect teeth, coiffured hair and they all seem to have the ideal lifestyle.
Granted, some bloke watching tv on the sofa in his wife beater supping a six pack of beer isn't going to sell bikes but a little more realism wouldn't hurt now, would it?
You know, blokes like Dave and Steve meeting at the café for a cuppa and a bacon sarny rather than Atticus and Lazlo (without the 's' of course), meeting up for an organic

As I said, I'm growing to like it, but it needs some sort of rear seat/pillion pad or at least something to attache bags/stuff to the rear end.

The_Dog33
(Fe Butt)
10/20/16 05:43 PM

Not bad for a water cooled bike.

newt
(Loquacious)
10/20/16 06:28 PM

If only they would have put upright springs under the rear of the seat.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/21/16 02:08 AM

Quote:

... but it needs some sort of rear seat/pillion pad or at least something to attache bags/stuff to the rear end.

It's not a touring bike for pillions and camping trips.
As a second bike to go out for a thrash with your mates, it's ideal.
Anyway, if you need to carry a mobile, keys and spare glasses etc, something like this will fit that swingarm ...

MACMC
(Bar Shake)
10/21/16 05:00 AM

I like the look. I would have stuck some old school cocktail shakers on it, the pipes look too modern.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/21/16 05:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... but it needs some sort of rear seat/pillion pad or at least something to attache bags/stuff to the rear end.

It's not a touring bike for pillions and camping trips.
As a second bike to go out for a thrash with your mates, it's ideal.
Anyway, if you need to carry a mobile, keys and spare glasses etc, something like this will fit that swingarm ...

I didn't mean a whole grand poobah touring seat with all the bells and whistles, just a small pillion pad.Big enough to give someone a lift to the pub or to strap a small bag on.Yes the side bag is good and I read somewhere Triumph will have them as accessories.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/21/16 06:51 AM

Quote:

I read somewhere Triumph will have them as accessories.

I had one recently on a bike.
Generally ok but even a small travel humidor took up a lot of space

You can get these for an Enfield but they look butt ugly ...

Or these ...

I'd be surprised if they didn't do something like those and they'd be quick release too so the hipsters can carry their mobiles and beard combs into the café

bking
(Adjunct)
10/21/16 06:56 AM

Anybody seen pricing?

oldroadie
(Worn Saddle)
10/21/16 07:11 AM

Quote:

I didn't mean a whole grand poobah touring seat with all the bells and whistles, just a small pillion pad.Big enough to give someone a lift to the pub or to strap a small bag on.Yes the side bag is good and I read somewhere Triumph will have them as accessories.

I bet that would be an interesting ride, like a mini pogo stick over every bump.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/21/16 07:32 AM

Quote:

Anybody seen pricing?

It's probably going to be about the same as the T120 it's based on (£9,800 over here).
It's annoying that they had the bike on their website within an hour of the 7pm launch ... but no pricing.
They would pretty much know when it went from the designer's screen to the first board meetings what it would cost, or at least way before production started so why not list the price at launch?
Maybe waiting to see interest. If there are loads of "I want one whatever the cost" then they can put a few hundred on the price.
If take up is slow then drop it by a couple of hundred

mikemm03
(Saddle Sore)
10/21/16 11:20 AM

Maybe a man purse for the hair brush and I-Pad along with one of those suction cup pillion rider seats for the misses.

It appears the cat's are in the slip-ons, nice. First thing to remove . I still think the radiator stands out on this bike more that it does on the other Bonnie lines. Probably because it supposed to be a stripped down bike.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/21/16 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I bet that would be an interesting ride, like a mini pogo stick over every bump.

I was thinking more of the ability to carry a little bit of gear for an overnight trip.Take it over a cobble stone road and it Might get some lady passengers grinning though .

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/21/16 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I read somewhere Triumph will have them as accessories.

I had one recently on a bike.
Generally ok but even a small travel humidor took up a lot of space

You can get these for an Enfield but they look butt ugly ...

Or these ...

I'd be surprised if they didn't do something like those and they'd be quick release too so the hipsters can carry their mobiles and beard combs into the café

The second brown and black don't seem too bad, but I think they stole the first one from a 1940s Army Despatch rider.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/22/16 12:36 AM

I just read this.Maybe this is Triumphs reason for the Bobber.

http://motorbikewriter.com/bmw-release-r-ninet-bobber/

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/22/16 04:29 AM

Yeah, like scramblers and café racers, Bobbers are the 'new' thing now.
I was talking to a bloke a couple of weeks ago who was riding a Nine T. Nice bike and really nice quality look about it (funny thing, the indicators were up under the seat - sticking out.
I guarantee I'd kick them off first ride getting on or off).
It will be interesting to see and feel the quality of the Triumph

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
10/22/16 05:20 AM

Yeah, Bobber's are the next big thing for the Hip Set. Personally I dislike the big space between the seat and fender, but I guess I'm just too old for tricks like that. I also dislike the tank lifts guys do trying to look like choppers. I must be getting old and Grumpy.

B02S4
(Oil Expert)
10/22/16 07:44 PM

I like it...

ANGELIS745
(Learned Hand)
10/22/16 08:49 PM

Triumph should have contacted Zero Engineering for the frame and tank. Their frame looks more like a hard tail with a some rake to it. Even though its a hidden softail, it rides pretty comfy.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/22/16 11:54 PM

Quote:

Yeah, Bobber's are the next big thing for the Hip Set. Personally I dislike the big space between the seat and fender, but I guess I'm just too old for tricks like that. I also dislike the tank lifts guys do trying to look like choppers. I must be getting old and Grumpy.

I'm old annd grumpy too.I think a lot of us are getting that way

Bedouin
(Loquacious)
10/27/16 09:06 PM

Quote:

Maybe waiting to see interest. If there are loads of "I want one whatever the cost" then they can put a few hundred on the price.
If take up is slow then drop it by a couple of hundred

That's what I also think they are doing.

I like it a lot.
The only downside I can see for my own purposes is the tank is too small for long distances, I am wondering if one could mod an old speedy/america tank for it. I have 5 or 6 sitting around which I collected almost a decade ago.

Bedouin
(Loquacious)
10/27/16 09:07 PM

Quote:

I like it. It has the classic rear triangle and a fine line from the rear axle to the neck. Very nice.

+1.

satxron
(Monkey Butt)
10/28/16 08:07 AM

I think the hipsters will buy it. The majority of folks are 1 up riders but there is something about giving up the passenger by design I don't like. I just don't like that seat flying up in the air. Other than that it has Speed Twin DNA.

Victory makes a kinda bobber that seems to sell ok. There is a market for them.

The_Dog33
(Fe Butt)
10/28/16 08:36 AM

Quote:

Nah, BMW has been doing that for a very long time. My 64 R50 has a seat like that, the pivot is under the tank with a support post just behind that and the seat is mounted to a leaf spring.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/28/16 03:37 PM

Quote:

I think the hipsters will buy it. The majority of folks are 1 up riders but there is something about giving up the passenger by design I don't like. I just don't like that seat flying up in the air. Other than that it has Speed Twin DNA.

Victory makes a kinda bobber that seems to sell ok. There is a market for them.

I agree.I ride solo, but there's something somehow just not quite right with the inability to take a passenger if need be and the extra difficulty of taking anything along.Maybe Triumph has some accessories to remedy those things,we'll see, but IMO it shouldn't cost more money to do those basic things.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
10/29/16 04:10 AM

Quote:

... but there's something somehow just not quite right with the inability to take a passenger if need be and the extra difficulty of taking anything along.

I think the point is being missed.
It's a cool bike for cool people who go out for a ride with cash in one pocket and ciggies in the other.
That's it.
If space is needed for a pillion (or even the hint of one!) or luggage to carry waterproofs or spare gloves and a bike chain - it's not the bike for you.
Pretty young things will be riding in some sun kissed locale stopping only to refuel and grab a frothyskinnychoccymocha-something-or-other with their equally good looking friends.
More power to their elbow I say

We can't bemoan not having provision for a cup holder and an adequate mounting point for a towbar because one day we might want to take a tasty beverage or fit a trailer.
It is what it is.
Like I said before, a frame mounted man bag for spare earplugs, a mobile and glasses is probably all they'll need. I had one on a Fat Boy and it was ok.

I'm looking forward to seeing one.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/29/16 04:40 AM

I see your point and I know what you mean.I know it's not supposed to be an electra glide. I only have a solo seat on my bike,and most of the time I just ride out for the day,but if I want to do an overnight trip or a few days away I can put the factory provided pillion seat on or the accessory rear rack and tie stuff to that.
Whereas the bobber can't.No doubt it will have some provision such as a bag or small rack in their accessories.Actually a tank bag or back pack would do.There's always ways and means.
I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh too.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
10/29/16 05:33 AM

I actually like most of what they've done to this Indian baby Harley.

http://motorbikewriter.com/custom-culture-grows-commuting/

mikemm03
(Saddle Sore)
11/10/16 08:43 AM

Gentlemen, and ladies. I believe the chances of a new Speedy or America are very slim. A 1200/900 Speedy would kill sales of the Bobber. Here's a video some may enjoy, some may not.

Bob

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
11/10/16 09:42 AM

Sadly, I think you may be right. I hung on as long as I could before buying my TBA LT.
But I'm still hopeful

PES
(Bar Shake)
11/10/16 12:13 PM

Quote:

Gentlemen, and ladies. I believe the chances of a new Speedy or America are very slim. A 1200/900 Speedy would kill sales of the Bobber. Here's a video some may enjoy, some may not.

Bob

Ha,that was a funny review.

Ryk
(Check Pants)
11/10/16 04:16 PM

SMH, That side cover that says "Bonneville Bobber" needs to go. Even Bob from the video agrees. I would be embarrassed to pull up to a group of bikes and riders with that abomination on the side of my bike. What was corporate thinking anyway? How about a Triumph "Bonneville America Cruiser" side cover? Any takers?

PES
(Bar Shake)
11/10/16 10:03 PM

Did anyone think about maybe customizing the factory Bobber? Take off the decal, maybe even the badge give the paint an "old fake rusted look". That paint is just too shiny for a Bobber. Did I see one color available in flat black? I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

Ryk
(Check Pants)
11/10/16 11:21 PM

Quote:

Did anyone think about maybe customizing the factory Bobber? Take off the decal, maybe even the badge give the paint an "old fake rusted look". That paint is just too shiny for a Bobber. Did I see one color available in flat black? I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

Makes sense Paul, anything can be modified. A retro set of badges, fatter tires and some saddlebags, along with scratching off the word "Bobber" on the side cover and I wouldn't gripe a bit. I also like the monoshock concept a lot. There is a lot to work with there.

Two_Wheel_n
(Learned Hand)
11/29/16 02:42 PM

In case anybody is in the NH area tomorrow...
http://www.nationalpowersports.net/brutalbeauty/

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/04/16 07:31 AM

Quote:

Bob

Since Triumph is taking the 1200 Bonneville engine to liquid cooling anyway the bigger question is when will Triumph finally invest in the Thunderbird platform. The Thunderbird has the displacement to compete with Harley and Polaris in the far more profitable $14-18k cruiser market. In terms of getting a return on their investment the 1700cc full size cruiser should be their primary focus.

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
12/04/16 08:55 AM

They'll need to put a lot of work in to make the Thunderbird engine truly competitive in my view.
Even allowing for the possibility that mine was an exception ( hmmm,) I think the engine is just too ' clattery' to appeal to the average buyer.
I suspect the source of the racket is the decompresser bobweights on the end of the exhaust camshaft...mine simply rattled whenever the engine was revved..an irritating.horrible.unholy. row.
Frankly this sort of thing isn't excusable on a water-cooled engine....other makers have been getting right for decades.
I strongly suspect the factory road testers all wore well padded full face helmets.

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/04/16 09:15 AM

It is ironic motorcycle enthusiasts are discussing how impracticable Triumph's new bobber is since non-riders consider every motorcycle impracticable.

Suposably bobbers date back to the 1930s but the first ones I remember seeing and hearing about were the Harley WLAs of World War 2. H-D made over 90,000 and after the war the U.S. government damn near bankrupted Harley Davidson by selling brand new or slightly used surplus WLAs at give away prices. So how was Harley supposed to sell the civilian version of the same model for retail price. But now Harley Davidson honors those original WLA bobbers with the Softail Slim-S optional matte green and white star paint. Kick start and ride an original hard frame WLA and then buy and enjoy the new modern version, that is if you like riding more than wrenching. And adding a passenger seat and pegs or a swing arm bag or full saddlebags takes just a visit to the accessory book.

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/04/16 09:47 AM

Quote:

They'll need to put a lot of work in to make the Thunderbird engine truly competitive in my view.
Even allowing for the possibility that mine was an exception ( hmmm,) I think the engine is just too ' clattery' to appeal to the average buyer.
I suspect the source of the racket is the decompresser bobweights on the end of the exhaust camshaft...mine simply rattled whenever the engine was revved..an irritating.horrible.unholy. row.
Frankly this sort of thing isn't excusable on a water-cooled engine....other makers have been getting right for decades.
I strongly suspect the factory road testers all wore well padded full face helmets.

I didn't notice any abnormal noise on the Thunderbird I test rode a couple of years ago but I wear a 3/4 helmets.

Tuck that radiator between the frame rails and really rework the style of the bike, give it 5 distinct models maybe even a softail version and deep rich paint with Triumph proudly and artfully displayed on the tank and hit the market. Well, maybe in America anyway I won't pretend to know what would work elsewhere. I'm telling you the Triumph brand has serious potential in America, more than Victory and possibly as much as Indian. The old timers who knew the original Indians have long since croaked or are well beyond their riding years (on average) not so the old Triumph fans. And honestly in the 60s if you didn't ride a Harley you rode a Triumph. The year I took my Triumph to Sturgis I got all positive remarks from some serious hard core bikers nothing negative, wouldn't try that with a Suzuki.

Oh, and Triumph has to do something about their dealer network in America. I don't know what the problem is but they'd better figure it out fast. I live near the largest military base on the east coast in a year 'round riding climate so the potential to sell motorcycles is huge. there are 4 Harley Davidson dealers (that sell bikes) 2 Polaris dealers 3 Honda dealers even the local BMW dealer sells only BMW motorcycles and is doing great. I'd have to ride 45 minutes away to get to the only Triumph dealer around and they sell 4 other brands. When I bought my TBA it was from the only Triumph/Harley Davidson dealer I know of and that was a 3 hour ride from home.

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
12/04/16 12:42 PM

Please don't get me wrong...I'm a big fan of Triumph....and really wanted to like my Tbird LT.
And indeed it had the performance, the brakes, the handling and the comforts to make it a potential winner.
But....it was a dogs dinner of an engine....new cylinders and liners at 400( yes, 400) miles from new...and the rattles I v e mentioned.
And the dealer response was truly crap.
6 weeks telling me they all do that..followed by 3 months to rebuild the top end....and it still rattled.
They really just didn't care, or know their product.
Even the coffee machine in the shop was permanently broken and it was no one's job to fix it.
They need to sort all that stuff out.
For the money I paid I expect my dealer to trip over themselves to sort out any problems...not treat me like an imbecile.
We did not part company as friends.

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
12/04/16 12:53 PM

Oh yes, whilst I'm having a whine....to get the belt drive to track true, you need to misalign the rear wheel...running with it tracked correctly results in an ineradicable squeak.....

PES
(Bar Shake)
12/05/16 10:46 AM

Well I know a bunch of folks on the Thunderbird site who love their TBs. One guy has an SE and has over 110,000 miles on it and claims it's quiet as a Mouse and has never checked the valves. I've liked them so much I've had 2.

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
12/05/16 12:24 PM

I know others have had trouble free TBirds....and indeed I wish them all well...this though was my own sad experience.....and I also know from the forums that I'm not alone in having had problems with these.
If it wasn't for own my woes they'd be my first choice in big cruisers....
Al

mikemm03
(Saddle Sore)
12/13/16 01:58 PM

While this one still seems like an odd duck to me, this article claims they are pre selling like beer and hot dogs at a baseball game. I'll see this one Saturday night at the local "unveiling" What the heck. it's free beer and food and a chance to also see the 900 Scrambler.

I thought this review came off very straight forward without the normal fluff. Bobber ride review

BillyIndiana
(3/4 Throttle)
12/13/16 06:28 PM

Quote:

While this one still seems like an odd duck to me, this article claims they are pre selling like beer and hot dogs at a baseball game. I'll see this one Saturday night at the local "unveiling" What the heck. it's free beer and food and a chance to also see the 900 Scrambler.

I thought this review came off very straight forward without the normal fluff. Bobber ride review

Wife and I went to the show in Chicago. It was fun. They released the pricing today. $12,600.00 high end.
Triumph unveiling chicago

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
12/14/16 03:15 AM

Quote:

At £10500 (still not listed on Triumph's website, that I can see) compared to possible rivals:

Victory Octane - £9799
•Indian Scout - £10499
•Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight - £9675
•Yamaha XV950 (Bolt) - £7199
•Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber/Roamer: £7999/£7899

mmm ...

BillyIndiana
(3/4 Throttle)
12/14/16 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

At £10500 (still not listed on Triumph's website, that I can see) compared to possible rivals:

Victory Octane - £9799
•Indian Scout - £10499
•Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight - £9675
•Yamaha XV950 (Bolt) - £7199
•Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber/Roamer: £7999/£7899

mmm ... [/quote

Oh there you go using logic again. I do like the fact that Triumph has some vision. Even if it is the ready made Bobber. Now if they could discover a thing called marketing and develop a distributorship life would be good. They did sell me a bike though.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
12/15/16 02:54 AM

It's really a new day when a Harley is the least expensive of the premium models out there. I guess when you make the same basic bike for 20 years the cost goes down. I like the Octane and the Scout,have not yet seen the Goose or Bobber in person.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
12/15/16 04:08 AM

Quote:

They did sell me a bike though.

They'd make a killing if they put a fraction of the effort that they put into new model launches and accessories into their dealerships and into keeping customers happy.
Maybe don't treat their dealers like crap, after all, they're only selling the damn things ...

B02S4
(Oil Expert)
12/15/16 09:13 AM

Quote:

•Yamaha XV950 (Bolt) - £7199...

I personally don't see the Bolt as competition for anything other than a Harley Davidson Iron...

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
12/15/16 01:19 PM

The Bolt is just a poor copy of an 883 Iron, Now the new Yamaha Scrambler is appealing. I know it's basicly the same bike but I just don't like Clones of anything. One of my favorite little sayings is, I'd rather wear a Timex than a fake Rolex. I feel the same about the old Yami 650's that are so hot on the used market, If you want a Triumph, buy one, not a Jap trying to be a Triumph.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
12/15/16 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They'd make a killing if they put a fraction of the effort that they put into new model launches and accessories into their dealerships and into keeping customers happy.
Maybe don't treat their dealers like crap, after all, they're only selling the damn things ...

,,,, My local H.D. dealer treats their customers like Royalty, I just think Harley needs to put more effert in product not marketing, besides there are just to many Harley's out there I'm sick of looking at them allready.

PES
(Bar Shake)
12/15/16 02:26 PM

Quote:

besides there are just to many Harley's out there I'm sick of looking at them allready.

. I say the more Harley's the better. It makes me and my Triumph that much more exclusive and unique.

BillyIndiana
(3/4 Throttle)
12/15/16 05:45 PM

Here is the pricing from Windy City Triumph.

Jet Black- $11,900
Morello Red or Ironstone- $12,150
Competition Green/Frozen Silver two tone- $12,400

And I love my Timex.

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
12/16/16 12:09 PM

I have to reluctantly agree about Triumph service. When I go into a Harley shop I'm greeted, offered a coffee and served by enthusiastic knowledgeable people.
Triumph could learn from this.
On the other hand HD seems to operate the following pricing scales.....
£3
£30
£300
£3000...

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/25/16 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

,,,, My local H.D. dealer treats their customers like Royalty, I just think Harley needs to put more effert in product not marketing, besides there are just to many Harley's out there I'm sick of looking at them allready.

Look at it from Harley's perspective for a change. Every Jap and many European motorcycle companies embrace the latest ultra high tech trend and some even compete in high end road racing to prove their 200 mile per hour bikes are the best. Cool. Meanwhile Harley Davidson has intentionally gone in the opposite direction and it has made them the undisputed leader in the American motorcycle market. Further they are selling the most profitable type of motorcycle in the most profitable market. In short since Willie and the boys bought the company back in the early 1980's they went from last to first in the market. So...why copy what the companies they defeated are doing? For bragging rights that their bike won the Isle Of Mann TT one year? Not worth it. Does it translate to sales/profit? Not really. So some kid who has never been on a race track buys a Honda 1000RR that he honestly can't legally ride near it's potential on the street. The bike is cramped, uncomfortable and high strung but he has bragging rights and that's what's important...right? Do you drive an F-1 car on the street every day? No. In the real world on the road there is value to riding a big old comfortable cruiser rolling 65mph at only 2400 rpm all day that looks cool and has outstanding fit, finish, paint and chrome with a dealer in every town to take care of you.

Dwight
(Fe Butt)
12/25/16 09:57 PM

Quote:

....In the real world on the road there is value to riding a big old comfortable cruiser rolling 65mph at only 2400 rpm all day that looks cool and has outstanding fit, finish, paint and chrome with a dealer in every town to take care of you.

Yep OB, but doesn't this all depend upon what KIND of "real world road" you're talkin' about here?!

I mean sure, I gotta admit whenever I'm passin' one or often a bunch of those H-Ds riders on some TWISTY mountain road around here in northern Arizona while ridin' my BA, I DO occasionally think to myself how "comfortable" those fellas look on their big "cool" lumbering machines, alright.

And of course as I come up on 'em and before passing 'em, I ALSO tend to notice they often wouldn't know the proper line to take through a curvy stretch of road if their lives depended upon it...and if ya THINK about this, one's life CAN "depend" upon knowing such a thing, ya know.

Yep, I can't tell ya how many times I've seen those "comfortable" and "cool" riders takin' an early apex into a turn, and then watch as they "go wide" and wallow over and across the double yellow at even MODERATE speeds. Why, it's almost as if they really don't know how to ride a motorcycle or somethin'?! Well, other than maybe "cruising" down some straight boring road, anyway.

And which of course always seems kind'a strange to me, 'cause as I pass 'em on those twisty roads, they in general appear not ONLY to be very "comfortable" and "cool", but ALSO tend to look about the same age I am and thus MUST have been ridin' motorcycles almost as long as I have.

(...that would be comin' up on 50 years now, btw)

Speedmaster05
(Loquacious)
12/26/16 05:42 AM

In all fairness, I've seen guys on most major brands of bikes - especially cruisers - that don't ride well. That includes Triumph.
You just notice it more with HD riders as there are so many of them.
The first time I rode with my Indian motorcycle crew, I realized that just because someone has a $25K motorcycle, a long gray beard, tattoos and a leather vest doesn't mean they know how to ride that motorcycle - regardless of how long they've been riding.

Dwight
(Fe Butt)
12/26/16 07:51 AM

Quote:

In all fairness, I've seen guys on most major brands of bikes - especially cruisers - that don't ride well. That includes Triumph.
The first time I rode with my Indian motorcycle crew, I realized that just because someone has a $25K motorcycle, a long gray beard, tattoos and a leather vest doesn't mean they know how to ride that motorcycle - regardless of how long they've been riding.

There's a whole lot of truth in this statement, Kevin.

(...btw, and speaking of Indian motorcycles...I sure do love the looks of their new Springfield...especially the less raked-out front end and which I've read makes 'em handle fairly well on those aforementioned curvy roads, and especially for a big comfortable and cool lookin' motorcycle)

Bedouin
(Loquacious)
12/26/16 09:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

(...btw, and speaking of Indian motorcycles...I sure do love the looks of their new Springfield...especially the less raked-out front end and which I've read makes 'em handle fairly well on those aforementioned curvy roads, and especially for a big comfortable and cool lookin' motorcycle)

Dwight, you gotta keep an eye on this Kevin fella ... he secretly works for the Polaris group.
He's gonna pound you to buy a Springfield now you've said that.

Happy holidays guys.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
12/26/16 09:34 AM

Sorry guys but I sure don't consider my old B/A a "handling"bike. I nice bike to ride but the rake is way to much for sporting riding. It is what it is, a slow cruiser just as it was designed to be. You may be passing the Harley guys on the twisties but that ain't saying much. No bike is good at every thing, some are hot rods, others are tour bikes and most are cruisers, it's all good.

Speedmaster05
(Loquacious)
12/26/16 10:08 AM

Quote:

Dwight, you gotta keep an eye on this Kevin fella ... he secretly works for the Polaris group.

Happy holidays guys.

Man, let me know when my commission check is in the mail. It's way overdue! lol

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
12/26/16 10:08 AM

Agreed......over here the Harley is a big seller to the recently retired......who often haven't ridden a bike for many years.
I also know it's a lot easier to throw my TBA about than it is to try the same on my Switchback......

Bedouin
(Loquacious)
12/26/16 12:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Happy holidays guys.

Man, let me know when my commission check is in the mail. It's way overdue! lol

Since I have known for quite some time Kevin, I have been intercepting your cheques all along. Thank you.

Dwight
(Fe Butt)
12/26/16 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Happy holidays guys.

Well T-Man, if Kevin can talk Judie into lettin' me get another motorcycle, and now days preferably that beautiful Indian Springfield, I'd write him a separate check for his services right this very instant!

Dwight
(Fe Butt)
12/26/16 04:48 PM

Quote:

Sorry guys but I sure don't consider my old B/A a "handling"bike. I nice bike to ride but the rake is way to much for sporting riding. It is what it is, a slow cruiser just as it was designed to be. You may be passing the Harley guys on the twisties but that ain't saying much. No bike is good at every thing, some are hot rods, others are tour bikes and most are cruisers, it's all good.

While you do make somewhat of a valid point about the BA/SM's raked-out front ends not being conducive to the sharpest of handling, Dennis, as Alan just pretty much said here, throwing around a 575lb machine in the twisties IS and always will be a hell of a lot easier a task than doing the same on an 800+lb big twin Harley or any other large cruiser.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
12/27/16 02:51 AM

Anything is possible, I've read that the fastest bike on the Tail of the Dragon is a Gold Wing owned by a local. Kind of hard to believe but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/27/16 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

....In the real world on the road there is value to riding a big old comfortable cruiser rolling 65mph at only 2400 rpm all day that looks cool and has outstanding fit, finish, paint and chrome with a dealer in every town to take care of you.

Yep OB, but doesn't this all depend upon what KIND of "real world road" you're talkin' about here?!

I mean sure, I gotta admit whenever I'm passin' one or often a bunch of those H-Ds riders on some TWISTY mountain road around here in northern Arizona while ridin' my BA, I DO occasionally think to myself how "comfortable" those fellas look on their big "cool" lumbering machines, alright.

And of course as I come up on 'em and before passing 'em, I ALSO tend to notice they often wouldn't know the proper line to take through a curvy stretch of road if their lives depended upon it...and if ya THINK about this, one's life CAN "depend" upon knowing such a thing, ya know.

Yep, I can't tell ya how many times I've seen those "comfortable" and "cool" riders takin' an early apex into a turn, and then watch as they "go wide" and wallow over and across the double yellow at even MODERATE speeds. Why, it's almost as if they really don't know how to ride a motorcycle or somethin'?! Well, other than maybe "cruising" down some straight boring road, anyway.

And which of course always seems kind'a strange to me, 'cause as I pass 'em on those twisty roads, they in general appear not ONLY to be very "comfortable" and "cool", but ALSO tend to look about the same age I am and thus MUST have been ridin' motorcycles almost as long as I have.

Oh I see, so in your opinion since I ride a Harley Davidson my skills are lacking. You know that someone isn't a capable rider just by the brand of bike they have. So I've been riding all my life and when I rode a Triumph I was a good rider but now because I have a Harley Davidson you would judge me incompetent. Brilliant.

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/27/16 03:16 AM

Quote:

Agreed.

And some of those old gray beards might not be as good as they once were when they were younger and the joints on their body didn't hurt for no reason. And of course old men never touch whiskey before riding...but most old riders will tell you all about the Triumph they had when they were young!

Speedmaster05
(Loquacious)
12/27/16 08:04 AM

Quote:

Well T-Man, if Kevin can talk Judie into lettin' me get another motorcycle, and now days preferably that beautiful Indian Springfield, I'd write him a separate check for his services right this very instant!

Dwight, you'll have to give me her contact information so I can work my magic for you bro!

Dwight
(Fe Butt)
12/27/16 08:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I see, so in your opinion since I ride a Harley Davidson my skills are lacking. You know that someone isn't a capable rider just by the brand of bike they have. So I've been riding all my life and when I rode a Triumph I was a good rider but now because I have a Harley Davidson you would judge me incompetent. Brilliant.

Gotta say here OB, that your jumping to the FALSE conclusion that I somehow called YOU a lousy rider is less than "brilliant" ITSELF, dude!

Nope, read that reply of mine to you again, and then you might see that it ACTUALLY contains more the thought which Kevin expressed after I posted it, and which included the idea that because there are a lot of lousy riders out there riding motorcycles of every brand, AND because H-Ds seem to be so predominate on the road, THUS it would give people such as myself the impression that there are more lousy riders riding H-Ds than any other brand.

(...trust me here, kid...in those 50 years of riding I told you about, I also occasionally have noticed riders on big "comfortable" and "cool looking" H-Ds who seem to know how to ride 'em on more challenging roads too, and who don't seem as if leaning their big "comfortable" and "cool looking" machines over at a little speed is beyond their skill level, and who seem to know the right line to take into and out of those curves...and from how you seemed to get your nose out of joint by misreading what I said, perhaps YOU are one of those...the seemingly rare H-D owner who actually KNOWS how to ride motorcycles with some proficiency, and DIDN'T just purchase one because "it's the cool thing to do" and/or so you could indulge yourself into that "cool" little H-D "culture" thing they have goin' on!)

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
12/27/16 04:24 PM

Do to the volume of H.D. bikes on the road I think there are more skilled riders on H.D.s then on Triumphs. See Dwight, figures can be made to say whatever you want....I ride both a Triumph and a Harley and I must say that Harley has done more to promote safe riding then any other brand, The Harley riding Academy has trained thousands of newby's to handle a bike. The program is not a joke,and many long term riders would play hell passing the test without going through the course. We are all riders here and it's all good, when riding in a group it is common to ride a bit slower so that all can enjoy the ride. My life is exciting enough, I ride to relax, not to push the boundries on public roads.

Dwight
(Fe Butt)
12/27/16 05:19 PM

Quote:

Do to the volume of H.D. bikes on the road I think there are more skilled riders on H.D.s then on Triumphs. See Dwight, figures can be made to say whatever you want....I ride both a Triumph and a Harley and I must say that Harley has done more to promote safe riding then any other brand, The Harley riding Academy has trained thousands of newby's to handle a bike. The program is not a joke,and many long term riders would play hell passing the test without going through the course. We are all riders here and it's all good, when riding in a group it is common to ride a bit slower so that all can enjoy the ride. My life is exciting enough, I ride to relax, not to push the boundries on public roads.

I think you made some good point here, Dennis.

Perhaps in MY case it might be more the thought that I've always pretty such found myself having more fun while tacking a challenging road, and NOT at 9-to-10/10th of my and bike's capabilities as that of course is strictly for the track, but at maybe 7-to-8/10th of my and my bike's capabilities (as I've found this helps keep my riding skills up to snuff) and than just cruising along some straight, and as I call 'em, "boring" road.

(...and because the concept of leaning a motorcycle into turns has always been the thing that I've felt makes motorcycling such the unique motor vehicle-based endeavor that it is)

PES
(Bar Shake)
12/27/16 05:24 PM

Quote:

twhen riding in a group it is common to ride a bit slower so that all can enjoy the ride

. You obviously have never been to a BA.com rally.

Dwight
(Fe Butt)
12/27/16 05:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

twhen riding in a group it is common to ride a bit slower so that all can enjoy the ride

Although Paul, you have to admit when riding in a group, and even a group primarily riding Triumphs, by the sheer safety necessities of having to ride at a pace commiserate to those in the group with the least riding skills and experience, is always a must.

Speedmaster05
(Loquacious)
12/28/16 04:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Although Paul, you have to admit when riding in a group, and even a group primarily riding Triumphs, by the sheer safety necessities of having to ride at a pace commiserate to those in the group with the least riding skills and experience, is always a must.

Man, I hate group rides. And this is coming from a guy who is the "Road Director" of my Indian riders group chapter.

We are supposed to make group rides "by the book" to keep things as simple as possible and at or below the speed limit. For example, using a lot of right turns.

We found out the hard way that if you take folks on a twisty road, someone will drop their bike. So we tailor our monthly chapter rides to the lowest rider skill. After lunch, the cool kids break off on a hooligan ride.

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
12/28/16 02:13 PM

Group rides...
Someone is late...
Someone needs fuel....
Someone rides too close/ far away
Someone wants a coffee/smoke/ bladder empty...
I have two friends I ride with..we know how fast to go..
We know when we need fuel...
We like to ride far before we stop.
It works.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
12/28/16 03:03 PM

Quote:

Group rides...
Someone is late...
Someone needs fuel....
It works.

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/28/16 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gotta say here OB, that your jumping to the FALSE conclusion that I somehow called YOU a lousy rider is less than "brilliant" ITSELF, dude!

Nope, read that reply of mine to you again, and then you might see that it ACTUALLY contains more the thought which Kevin expressed after I posted it, and which included the idea that because there are a lot of lousy riders out there riding motorcycles of every brand, AND because H-Ds seem to be so predominate on the road, THUS it would give people such as myself the impression that there are more lousy riders riding H-Ds than any other brand.

(...trust me here, kid...in those 50 years of riding I told you about, I also occasionally have noticed riders on big "comfortable" and "cool looking" H-Ds who seem to know how to ride 'em on more challenging roads too, and who don't seem as if leaning their big "comfortable" and "cool looking" machines over at a little speed is beyond their skill level, and who seem to know the right line to take into and out of those curves...and from how you seemed to get your nose out of joint by misreading what I said, perhaps YOU are one of those...the seemingly rare H-D owner who actually KNOWS how to ride motorcycles with some proficiency, and DIDN'T just purchase one because "it's the cool thing to do" and/or so you could indulge yourself into that "cool" little H-D "culture" thing they have goin' on!)

Talking to you is like talking to my mother-in-law you make a point...BUT carefully word it so if someone calls you out about it you have an exit strategy at which time you spin the blame on them for "misunderstanding" what you meant. Well played. I could introduce you to her, y'all would either kill each other or fall in love.

Let me give you an example of the value that I'm talking about. Summer 2014 we left with a group of friends from Virginia Beach on a short trip to an event called Mountainfest in Morgantown West Virginia there were about 12 bikes in the group. With fuel stops and taking our time about 8 hours of straight riding but it started raining hard an hour after we left and kept it up the whole way, we also ran into heavy fog in the mountains. Exhausted and soaked when we arrived at Morgantown my wife hit sand in a low speed turn and had her first crash in many years of riding. Her Sportster went down on the left side hard but the only real damage was the shifter was bent back across the peg and jammed. We called the local Harley Davidson Dealer Triple-S in Morgantown. They quickly sent a truck to pick up her bike no tow charge. We got to the dealership who was very busy hosting activities for Mountainfest late in the afternoon, nevertheless they pushed her bike directly into the shop and started working on it immediately. They replaced the bent shifter but the linkage was jammed inside the case. they said check back in the morning they knew we were from out of town and were going to do what they could. My wife was very down as we rode on my bike to the motel. The next morning I rode to the dealership alone just to see if there was any hope. To my surprise the tech had come in early to work on her bike, had the case apart the linkage fixed and was test riding it when I got there! I rode back and got my wife by the time we got back to the dealership about 10am they were drying it off after a thorough cleaning. I was stunned by this level of customer service, they saved the trip. In my opinion this would not have been possible on any other brand of motorcycle. I believe the nearest Triumph dealer for example was 3 hours from that location and I doubt they would have had the necessary parts in stock and it would be hard to match the positive attitude and service we received. So if that's part of what you sarcastically call "cool" I'll take it.

Bedouin
(Loquacious)
12/28/16 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't waste your time explaining yourself to this dude, Dwight.
Riding-wise you are in a class of a very few. I am sure others here who know will agree.
I have personal experience.

Speedmaster05
(Loquacious)
12/29/16 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Group rides...
Someone is late...
Someone needs fuel....
It works.

Agreed.

An even bigger problem on group rides is that people crash and/or drop their bikes. We've seen everything from minor low-speed drops to life-threatening accidents. A couple of months back a buddy of mine organized a large group ride where one very reckless rider died. That's hard to get out of your head.

Ride safe guys.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
12/29/16 04:36 AM

Mr. Outerbanks, I for one read your post and could not agree more. I have had nothing but good service from my local H>D> dealer. We need more Triumph dealers who carry more inventory but hopefully that will come in time.

PES
(Bar Shake)
12/29/16 07:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hell Dwight when I go to a rally with some of the regular ba.com rally boys and girls most of the time I just try to keep up and hope for the best. They don't adjust for anything except how fast they can make the next curve. Of course I'm not going to mention any names.

BillyIndiana
(3/4 Throttle)
12/29/16 09:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hell Dwight when I go to a rally with some of the regular ba.com rally boys and girls most of the time I just try to keep up and hope for the best. They don't adjust for anything except how fast they can make the next curve. Of course I'm not going to mention any names.

Seems like I was the one bringing up the rear in Kentucky this last year Paul.

outerbanks
(Adjunct)
12/29/16 05:34 PM

Thank you Mr. Tinmantwo the outstanding service from Triple-S Harley Davidson was even more impressive considering my wife and I did not buy our bikes there, had never been there before and since we were from out of state were unlikely to return.

There have been other excellent dealer experiences. The night I took delivery of my new 2014 Harley Davidson From Southside here in Virginia there was an intense thunderstorm that knocked out the power for blocks. I said well I guess I'll get off work early again tomorrow and come back to get the bike. The manager asked if I wanted to finish the deal then, I said how? With no power for the computers they hand wrote every document by flashlight and stayed open after normal hours to get everything done.

If I get another new Triumph it will be from only one dealer Ray Price Triumph in Raleigh North Carolina. I bought my TBA from them and they were so good I went back and custom ordered my wife's 2012 Sportster from them. Ray Price is rare because they sell both Triumph and Harley Davidson from the same connecting showroom. Their Triumph side has the same high end appearance and extensive inventory as the Harley side.

PES
(Bar Shake)
12/30/16 09:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seems like I was the one bringing up the rear in Kentucky this last year Paul.

Not anymore Billy. You could be right up there with Charlie w your new R-3T next rally.

PES
(Bar Shake)
12/31/16 05:33 PM

Quote:

Bob

My son got a new Speed Triple today. While at the dealer this afternoon of course I asked about the Speedy and America. This sales guy said they are doing a complete makeover of them and they won't be out until 2018 or '19. Just thought I'd add another rumor to the mill.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
12/31/16 10:49 PM

Oh boy! '18 0r '19.I gotta hang around and wait MORE time! Oh well I hope I'm still above ground and riding by then.

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
01/01/17 03:27 AM

Don't they realise that their customer base is ageing?....some of us would like to ride one before we're riding our walking frames

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
01/01/17 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

My son got a new Speed Triple today. While at the dealer this afternoon of course I asked about the Speedy and America. This sales guy said they are doing a complete makeover of them and they won't be out until 2018 or '19. Just thought I'd add another rumor to the mill.

With all the changes needed to existing bikes in their lines for the Euro 4 cobblers, Triumph (and other manufacturers) couldn't possibly do them all at once.
Yeah, they've known for a while it was coming in but developing these things takes years.

So, it makes sense that any new models (necessary to jump onto the various bandwagons in a timely manner) and only good selling current models (which are staying) get priority.

Rather than getting excited about a possible 1200cc America or Speedy, I want to see a factory 2.5+ litre R3

findlay13
(Loquacious)
01/01/17 04:07 AM

True but with a 1200 BA/speedy, they have a compliant engine already in the T120. I know it's not just bolt in but I wouldn't have thought it'd take that much re-engineering to put it in a cruiser.Or for that matter re-engineering of the Bobber to cruiser form.But what would I know?

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
01/01/17 05:35 AM

Quote:

True but with a 1200 BA/speedy, they have a compliant engine already in the T120. I know it's not just bolt in but I wouldn't have thought it'd take that much re-engineering to put it in a cruiser.Or for that matter re-engineering of the Bobber to cruiser form.But what would I know?

Maybe it wouldn't take all that much but no doubt if it is coming, its got to take it's turn in line.

Taking engineers off new bikes to re-engineer a bike that doesn't sell in the numbers they want it to anyway simply isn't going to happen.

There is already another new bike (in the variation of the 'Street' group) coming on January 10th and in careers, there are lots of positions - a few in development, so the queue infront of the mythical 1200 cruiser is shortening.
Ooh, ooh - they could call it the Street Unicorn !!

mikemm03
(Saddle Sore)
01/01/17 08:18 AM

Maybe it wouldn't take all that much but no doubt if it is coming, its got to take it's turn in line.

Taking engineers off new bikes to re-engineer a bike that doesn't sell in the numbers they want it to anyway simply isn't going to happen.

There is already another new bike (in the variation of the 'Street' group) coming on January 10th and in careers, there are lots of positions - a few in development, so the queue infront of the mythical 1200 cruiser is shortening.
Ooh, ooh - they could call it the Street Unicorn !!

I beleive the 10th launch is a Triple not a twin.
Triumph has a Street Twin, Cup, A Scrambler, two T100, two T120's and the Bobber. Basically they have "twined it out" The only real option at this point in my opinion for the Twin is a Cruiser. Might happen, might not but I cant' see another variant for the twin.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
01/01/17 09:07 AM

True, what I was getting at was (whether twins or triples), they can only re-do so many new models or model makeovers at a time and they will concentrate on new models or model makeovers on models that sell well.

Triumph would be missing a trick if they DIDN'T do a 1200 cruiser, thats for sure.

Ryk
(Check Pants)
01/01/17 10:59 AM

If Triumph would upgrade the Spdy/Am line, perhaps it wouldn't be such a slow seller? I'm fine if they quit making /discontinue both bikes, can you say instant collector status?

findlay13
(Loquacious)
01/01/17 04:23 PM

I suppose without upgrading the cruisers,they're making plenty of profit ATM so as has been said,maybe they'll get to the America/speedy line,maybe not.I hope they do.

Anyway,I love my bike.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
01/02/17 04:40 AM

It is really hard for a brand to break our of it's nitch. A Triumph Cruiser still doesn't resonate in the biker world. You say Triumph and people think Bonneville or maybe Speed Triple, not cruiser. Much like every time Harley brings out a "performance"model, it bombs. Say Harley and people think Bagger, not performance. It looks like Ducati is making head way with expanding it's line up, but it's a slow process. Triumph with the big Rocket made a splash, but that excitement has died down already. I'm pretty sure a new cruiser will be brought forward sometime, no one can afford to ignore that market, but it will be hard to be more than a bit player. I like having something a bit different and a 1200 America would appeal to me.

mikemm03
(Saddle Sore)
01/05/17 06:03 AM

I pulled this from another forum and found it amusing but spot on.

"There... That's how you promote/show a new Bike-range... Very well done. That made me excited about buying a new bike. Period.

NOTE: The NON use of man-buns. Or any people's face, good looking or otherwise. No trust-fund Hoboken lofts being exited from. No Duck Dynasty beards with Blue-Steel glares being shoved in your face like new-born pictures on FaceBook. No gaggle of blondes that appear to have never seen a man on a motorcycle before, in an unrealistic giant empty warehouse with suspended strands of old incandescent bulbs taken straight from the Corona Beer commercial set.

Instead of being embarrassed while viewing a Triumph promo, for once I was quite the opposite. One can easily tell this was directed by someone that isn't a marketing department cubicle zombie addicted to twitter, or some form of corporate nepotism. And is more likely a motorcycle enthusiast instead. Well done." T100 launch Australia

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
01/05/17 09:04 AM

Hear, Hear..Amen to all that!

findlay13
(Loquacious)
01/05/17 04:44 PM

YES Well done!But what do you expect? It's from the "Land down under"

Ryk
(Check Pants)
01/05/17 09:52 PM

Quote:

Your modesty sets an example for all of us.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
01/05/17 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your modesty sets an example for all of us.

My modesty [almost] forbids me, from telling you that my modesty is one of the first among equals, of MANY great attributes that I have Ryk

NIbiker
(Learned Hand)
03/05/17 12:30 AM

Review of the Bobber, also shows the bags mounted.

Bobber Review.

tinmantwo
(Adjunct)
03/21/17 03:13 AM

I finely saw a Bobber in the flesh Saturday, It sure looks better than the pictures. Very nice for bopping around town but looks a bit small for serious travel. Anyway I guess that's why they call it a Bobber, Very Good Looking little bike. With that 1200 I bet it really goes.

The_Dog33
(Fe Butt)
03/21/17 05:57 PM

They really do a good job making a water cooled bike look air cooled.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
05/30/17 09:22 AM

I went to look at another truck yesterday and the fella's Mrs had just taken delivery of her new Bobber.
Got to say, in the flesh it's pretty nice (the Bobber, not the fella's Mrs! )

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
05/30/17 12:11 PM

And I took a close look at one in the dealer today...still not convinced it's physically big enough to be made into a two up tourer.....and no the dealer knows no more than we do about forthcoming models.

Funkletrumpet
(Loquacious)
05/30/17 01:00 PM

Quote:

...still not convinced it's physically big enough to be made into a two up tourer....

Oh ffs!!
How many bobbers are designed for two up riding and touring like you seem to think they are?!!
Modern stuff like this isn't for hardcore rigid tailed cobble it together in the shed bikers. It's for posers for pissing about for a few hours in the sun or bar hopping.
And for THAT, it's not a bad looking bike!

Alatamoc
(Learned Hand)
05/30/17 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...still not convinced it's physically big enough to be made into a two up tourer....

Oh ffs!!
How many bobbers are designed for two up riding and touring like you seem to think they are?!!
Modern stuff like this isn't for hardcore rigid tailed cobble it together in the shed bikers. It's for posers for pissing about for a few hours in the sun or bar hopping.
And for THAT, it's not a bad looking bike!

No. You missed the point.
The photos so far of the ' new' TBA mule on test suggest it's based on the bobber....and if so, it'll be far too small for those of us in the market for a 1200 TBA...given that we want it for the extra grunt for two up touring
That was what I was farkling on about

NIbiker
(Learned Hand)
12/04/17 01:55 PM

8000 Mile test of the Bobber.
MCN 8000 Mile Bobber review.

I Decided some time ago its not for me, To much money to spend on a bike with limited use and after viewing it a bit small as well. I think the new Speedmaster thats based on Bobber chassis will also be not for me either as I expect it to be even more cash. Keeping my 07 America for as long as I can foresee.

findlay13
(Loquacious)
12/07/17 12:39 PM

A reasonably harsh review considering all these reviews try to show the bikes in their best lght.The has been comments on the durability of the finish of the T120 and Bobber before.I had a 1974 Sportster as my only transport and the small tank does become a pain quickly.Looks great but filling up every second day wasn't fun.

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage