outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
Re: Ooops [Re: The_Dog33]
      #662781 - 11/27/16 06:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

and by the way, I learned of another brainiac practice on a modern car. A friend of mine bought a pretty nice used Cadilac for a song last week. It wouldn't start. Everybody thought it was the "smart" key, and they only had one. Turned out that the starter was bad. And get this, the starter is INSIDE the engine. You have to pull the intake manifold off to service it!

A very few are smart enough to put an access door for the pump in the floor of the trunk or under the back seat.

Fords like Taurus and Explorer you have to pull the intake to change the sparkplugs.

Just the upper plenum not the whole intake. Many modern V6 engines are built that way the engineers are trying to get the optimum size intake plenum and runner length for the best powerband yet keep the intake low enough to fit under the hood. Pulling the upper plenum once every 100,000 miles to replace the spark plugs really isn't a big deal. The payoff is a modern 3.7L v6 gets 305 horsepower and 31 MPG without a turbo on regular gas.

--------------------
2011 Triumph America (10/2011 to 07/2014)
2012 Harley Davidson 1200C Sportster
2014 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
Re: Ooops [Re: The_Dog33]
      #662782 - 11/27/16 07:03 AM

I don't mind the tank mounted fuel pump/filter/gauge sending unit modules so much because they are usually very reliable and quiet and of course the all in one unit is quicker and simpler for assembly line workers. The thing I hate is the new high pressure direct injection engines. Direct injection is the new high tech BS that is over complicated and in the real world causes intake valve carbon fouling since fuel is not being sprayed behind the valve to keep it clean. The performance return is hardly worth the cost and complexity of the secondary engine mounted high pressure pump and combustion chamber injectors.

--------------------
2011 Triumph America (10/2011 to 07/2014)
2012 Harley Davidson 1200C Sportster
2014 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

Edited by outerbanks (11/27/16 07:05 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3140

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage