General Motorcycle Forums >> Other Bikes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
Harley discontinues the V-Rod
      #663940 - 01/19/17 01:30 AM

After 16 years and one minor displacement upgrade the 1250cc V-rod VRSC series last model year is 2017. Actually V-Rod production has already stopped and the bikes in the system are the last ones available.

Reports were the V-Rods were good for about 10,000 units sold per year and the development cost were certainly paid for. I test rode a V-Rod Muscle and couldn't get past the riding position, with the forward controls the bar was way too low for my comfort. But the 122hp was fun albeit at a bit higher RPM than usual for a Harley.

Harley Davidson does stop production for a couple of years and then reintroduces an all new version of certain models as they did with the Dyna Wide Glide and Low Rider so an all new V-Rod might be in the works.

--------------------
2011 Triumph America (10/2011 to 07/2014)
2012 Harley Davidson 1200C Sportster
2014 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinmantwo
Adjunct

Reged: 01/12/14
Loc: Michigan, Macomb Co.
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: outerbanks]
      #663943 - 01/19/17 03:37 AM

The V-Rod's had terrible ergos as you mentioned. I have seen a lot of V-Rod conversions to V Road Glides, they looked and rode a bunch better. Harley never did much with the V's, the ergo problem was never addressed and the new Muscule was even worse with the big pipes on both sides. Kind of a waste of a good engine.

--------------------
Tin Man 2

Dwight
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: tinmantwo]
      #663954 - 01/19/17 09:20 AM

I guess you two have forgotten about the short-lived "Street Rod" version of Harley's VRSC line up, and which featured mid-mounted foot controls.

But true to form, because mid-mounted foot controls don't say "cruiser" to the Harley faithful, this model failed to sell in comparison to even the rest of the slower selling V-Rod line, and thus was dropped after only two years of production in 2007.

(...the Street Rod and the also short-lived flat track inspired XR1200 being the only two Harleys that would intrigue me enough to consider their purchase for a while, btw)

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

arstaren
Worn Saddle

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Southeast ,Iowa, USA
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: Dwight]
      #663958 - 01/19/17 10:24 AM

I always like the look and the idea of the VRod. There is one locally that is chrome and Red, beautiful bike. Funny, I thought the VRod died more than a year ago. I'd like to have one for fun. If these bikes weren't that popular, perhaps one can be picked up for cheap in a few years.

--------------------
Fidelis et Fortis

outerbanks
Adjunct

Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: Dwight]
      #663974 - 01/20/17 03:15 AM

Quote:

I guess you two have forgotten about the short-lived "Street Rod" version of Harley's VRSC line up, and which featured mid-mounted foot controls.

But true to form, because mid-mounted foot controls don't say "cruiser" to the Harley faithful, this model failed to sell in comparison to even the rest of the slower selling V-Rod line, and thus was dropped after only two years of production in 2007.

(...the Street Rod and the also short-lived flat track inspired XR1200 being the only two Harleys that would intrigue me enough to consider their purchase for a while, btw)

Oh, I remember the Street Rod, never rode one of those but I sat on one at the dealership and it would have been impossible for me to ride. I'm 6'1" 240 (note the rider in this picture is Not 6'1") and with it's high mid controls felt like my elbows were hitting my knees. Even a standard new Bonneville is a little tight for me and forward controls are much more comfortable which is why I had an America. It's the very low bar that got me on the V-Rod kind of like if a Speed triple had forward controls the rider triangle is shaped like a taco shell.

--------------------

Edited by outerbanks (01/20/17 03:30 AM)

outerbanks
Adjunct

Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: arstaren]
      #663975 - 01/20/17 03:28 AM

Quote:

I always like the look and the idea of the VRod. There is one locally that is chrome and Red, beautiful bike. Funny, I thought the VRod died more than a year ago. I'd like to have one for fun. If these bikes weren't that popular, perhaps one can be picked up for cheap in a few years.

The V-Rod has a reputation as durable and trouble free but complicated (For a Harley) to maintain. The bike was supposedly one of Willie Davidson's favorite projects which might explain why there were very few changes over it's 16 year run. If the boss thinks it's perfect don't suggest it ain't you know. Hopefully an updated version of the powertrain will make a comeback in a new model.

--------------------

tinmantwo
Adjunct

Reged: 01/12/14
Loc: Michigan, Macomb Co.
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: outerbanks]
      #663976 - 01/20/17 05:17 AM

I did not forget the Street Rod, I was prepared to buy one until I rode one. The pegs placement was terrible,bad ergos. What a waste of a good engine. I also rode the Xr1200 and found the short gearing made the bike feel"funny", I think short gearing only works with a high reving engine, not a Sportster. They tried to make the XR fast with gearing instead of tweaking the engine for a bigger improvement in power, the little they did do was not enough.

--------------------
Tin Man 2

B02S4
Oil Expert

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: USA
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: tinmantwo]
      #663984 - 01/20/17 04:08 PM

It's a shame that Erik Buell didn't get the opportunity to put a V-Rod motor in a tuber...

Greybeard
Old Hand

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Charming Clovis NM
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: B02S4]
      #663992 - 01/20/17 08:03 PM

Maybe they are smart enough to save the engine and gearbox. With just a little wider spread in the gears, this would be great for a sports 3 wheel. Might even be they are thinking of reviving the Tri-hawk with this engine.

--------------------
Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python

Dwight
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: B02S4]
      #663993 - 01/20/17 09:26 PM

Quote:

It's a shame that Erik Buell didn't get the opportunity to put a V-Rod motor in a tuber...

Same thing I always thought too Ken, and considering that first, the V-Rod's engine's origins lie in H-D's VR1000 U.S. Superbike race series entry of the mid-'90s, and secondly because one would think H-D giving the most modern engine on their shelf to sport bike designer Eric Buell when he was associated with them would've been a no-brainer.

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3844

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage