Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Funkletrumpet
Loquacious

Reged: 06/27/07
Loc: Northamptonshire, England
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: outerbanks]
      #663996 - 01/21/17 01:09 AM

Quote:

I test rode a V-Rod Muscle and couldn't get past the riding position ...

I've sat on one but never ridden one. I didn't like it either.
I was at a bike shop last August picking up my new (new to me) bike and a V-Rod pulled up.
Bloke gets off. He's 76 yrs old! I was talking to him for a while.
He said, and I kid you not, "it's the most comfortable bike I've every owned".
As he had no doubt been riding longer than I've been walking, I didn't ask him wtf have YOU been riding all your life?!!

--------------------
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet" : William Shakespeare

1985 Kawasaki GT750
2007 FLHTCU

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: Dwight]
      #664024 - 01/22/17 07:05 AM

Quote:

I guess you two have forgotten about the short-lived "Street Rod" version of Harley's VRSC line up, and which featured mid-mounted foot controls.

But true to form, because mid-mounted foot controls don't say "cruiser" to the Harley faithful, this model failed to sell in comparison to even the rest of the slower selling V-Rod line, and thus was dropped after only two years of production in 2007.

(...the Street Rod and the also short-lived flat track inspired XR1200 being the only two Harleys that would intrigue me enough to consider their purchase for a while, btw)

By the way Dwight Harley Davidson knows some V-Rod owners might prefer mid controls and like most of their bikes they offer kits to install either mid or forward controls whichever the rider prefers. Not many motorcycle manufacturers offer this flexibility.
FACTORY KIT

--------------------
2011 Triumph America (10/2011 to 07/2014)
2012 Harley Davidson 1200C Sportster
2014 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

Dwight
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: Sedona, Arizona
      #664053 - 01/22/17 06:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess you two have forgotten about the short-lived "Street Rod" version of Harley's VRSC line up, and which featured mid-mounted foot controls.

But true to form, because mid-mounted foot controls don't say "cruiser" to the Harley faithful, this model failed to sell in comparison to even the rest of the slower selling V-Rod line, and thus was dropped after only two years of production in 2007.

(...the Street Rod and the also short-lived flat track inspired XR1200 being the only two Harleys that would intrigue me enough to consider their purchase for a while, btw)

By the way Dwight Harley Davidson knows some V-Rod owners might prefer mid controls and like most of their bikes they offer kits to install either mid or forward controls whichever the rider prefers. Not many motorcycle manufacturers offer this flexibility.
FACTORY KIT

I have to admit that that's another good point, OB. Yep, H-D's in-house accessory catalog is quite extensive.

This is the very reason I had to design and fabricate my own mid-mount foot controls for my BA a few years back, as not even the aftermarket ever supplied what I was looking for in this regard.

Just got tired of sitting on my tailbone and not having my legs help support my torso and help cushion the jolts one receives from riding over patches of rough and irregular roads. To say nothin' about the idea that it never really felt "right" having my feet forward while riding "spiritedly" through the twisties.

Guess I never was a true "cruiser guy", still however I kept the forward pegs and occasionally fold 'em down to act as "freeway pegs" and another place to locate my feet on long straight smooth and "boring" stretches of highway, though.

(...and with all the other customizing I've done to it over the years such as cutting down the fenders and many other things, my '02 BA now resembling much more the classic Britbike look and less the American-style cruiser it started out as)

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

chyAdministrator
Loquacious

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Dahlonega Ga.
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: tinmantwo]
      #664058 - 01/22/17 06:40 PM

I liked them for the fact that Harley did something a bit different... always a bit too streamlined, I guess would be the word. Kinda like why I really never cared for Victorys I guess... I won't miss them either.

--------------------
'02

moeAdministrator
Should be Riding

Loc: Merritt Island, Fl
      #664380 - 02/02/17 05:41 AM

--------------------
Blowing gravel off rural roads

mag10
Learned Hand

Reged: 01/16/08
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: Greybeard]
      #664527 - 02/07/17 05:56 AM

Quote:

Maybe they are smart enough to save the engine and gearbox. With just a little wider spread in the gears, this would be great for a sports 3 wheel. Might even be they are thinking of reviving the Tri-hawk with this engine.

there is a local company here in WI that makes a front wheel trike type conversion out of V rods. Not sure why they picked the V-rod but so far as I know its the only 3 wheeler they do.

--------------------
05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intakes, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 2 firestarter

PES
Bar Shake

Loc: Tulsa,OK, USA
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: chy]
      #664528 - 02/07/17 06:45 AM

Quote:

I liked them for the fact that Harley did something a bit different... always a bit too streamlined, I guess would be the word. Kinda like why I really never cared for Victorys I guess... I won't miss them either.

+1 I liked that they had the water cooled Porsche designed engine I thought would be silky smooth. When I finally got to test ride one for 30 minutes I go WTF it vibrates like the other Harley's. Plus it was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden. I was never so happy to get back on my TBA.

--------------------
"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown

Ryk
Check Pants

Reged: 05/19/10
Loc: Pac. NW
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: PES]
      #664531 - 02/07/17 09:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

+1 I liked that they had the water cooled Porsche designed engine I thought would be silky smooth. When I finally got to test ride one for 30 minutes I go WTF it vibrates like the other Harley's. Plus it was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden. I was never so happy to get back on my TBA.

I thought it had a BMW designed motor, no? German engineering is generally pretty good either way. Harley probably had to specify an out of balance design to stay Harleyesque.

The_Dog33
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/01/07
Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: Ryk]
      #664532 - 02/07/17 10:07 AM

I thought it was a porsch design.

--------------------
I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
some shots of our bikes

findlay13
Loquacious

Reged: 06/25/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Harley discontinues the V-Rod [Re: The_Dog33]
      #664534 - 02/07/17 12:17 PM

I had heard Porsche too.As Ryk said, either way.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3849

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage