BonnevilleAmerica.com | Forums Home | Photopost Archive | AUP | Disclaimer

General Motorcycle Forums >> Other Bikes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
PES
Bar Shake

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Tulsa,OK, USA
Re: 2018 Speedmaster [Re: Dwight]
      #670348 - 09/23/17 10:59 AM

I think most of the people I ride w here care more about handling than a pushed out fork. But I agree with you in general Dwight that most cruiser owners care about the "look" rather than handling. IMO w the original America And SM we had both.

On another subject re the new Speedie, I have been kind of having a feud w a guy on the TBird forum about the new SM even really being a cruiser. I contend that a Bobber is more a sub category of a cruiser and thus if the new SM is based on it then it is a Cruiser too. He says no way in hell a Bobber is not a Cruiser and neither is the new speedie. He says Triumph or no one will call it a cruiser when in fact the article Mike found w the first spy shots are calling it the Triumph new cruiser line and hinting that there will be more than one.

--------------------
"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dwight
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Re: 2018 Speedmaster [Re: PES]
      #670352 - 09/23/17 10:48 PM

Quote:

I think most of the people I ride w here care more about handling than a pushed out fork. But I agree with you in general Dwight that most cruiser owners care about the "look" rather than handling. IMO w the original America And SM we had both.

Yep Paul, I've said many times in the past that despite the 33 degree raked-out front ends on our bikes which precipitate slower turn-ins, they somehow do handle pretty well even in the twisties, and especially so given their "slower" steering geometry.

Quote:

On another subject re the new Speedie, I have been kind of having a feud w a guy on the TBird forum about the new SM even really being a cruiser. I contend that a Bobber is more a sub category of a cruiser and thus if the new SM is based on it then it is a Cruiser too. He says no way in hell a Bobber is not a Cruiser and neither is the new speedie. He says Triumph or no one will call it a cruiser when in fact the article Mike found w the first spy shots are calling it the Triumph new cruiser line and hinting that there will be more than one.

To some small degree Paul, I'll have to agree with the gentleman's opinion, as just from the pictures I've seen here of this new SM, in my opinion the only thing that really says "cruiser" about it to me are the forward mounted foot controls.

outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
      #670357 - 09/24/17 08:22 AM

Reusing the Bobber frame for the Speedmaster saves Triumph a lot of money and a side benefit is an owner might be able to use the Bobber parts to install mid controls on the new Speedmaster...if that's what they prefer.

--------------------
2011 Triumph America (10/2011 to 07/2014)
2012 Harley Davidson 1200C Sportster
2014 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

findlay13
Loquacious

Reged: 06/25/09
Loc: Australia
      #670370 - 09/24/17 09:04 PM

Yes Dwight the more I look the more I see a bobber with a dual seat set up.

--------------------
Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville

Dwight
Fe Butt

Re: 2018 Speedmaster [Re: findlay13]
      #670399 - 09/25/17 05:12 PM

Quote:

Yes Dwight the more I look the more I see a bobber with a dual seat set up.

And the more I look at it Paul, and probably because of its "softtail" rear end which mimics pre-swingarm hardtail Triumphs such as the original prewar 1938 Speed Twin and other immediate postwar Triumphs, the more it's reminding me of those, and what would've been designated back then as "roadsters". But, with the difference being those forward mounted foot controls on the new SM.

And which once again in my view, would be the ONLY thing about the new SM that would or could possibly define it with the more modern designation of "cruiser".

Overall though, I think its a damn good lookin' retro bike, and one which would and should be much more practical to own than the Bobber.

(...but I wouldn't be interested in owning one, and because I've found I don't like forward foot controls which necessitate the operator sitting on their tailbone...and thus the very reason some six or seven years ago now I designed and built mid-located foot pegs and controls and bolted them to my 2002 BA...I also feel more in control of my bike while "spiritedly" riding the twisties around here in Arizona without my feet sticking out forward)

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

findlay13
Loquacious

Reged: 06/25/09
Loc: Australia
      #670408 - 09/25/17 09:24 PM

I agree the only thing I have forward controls for is my busted knee.I bought a Hyde footpeg relocation set awhile back and they move the controls back 4" on my model BA and 2" on the newer models.The position suited me and allowed a bit more control and"down low" cornering but the brackets bent. Supposedly because they had Triumph "T"s cut out of the middle of them.Hyde sent a set without the cut outs which supposedly fixes the bending [free of charge.] but I haven't used them yet.

outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
      #670434 - 09/27/17 02:32 AM

Quote:

(...but I wouldn't be interested in owning one, and because I've found I don't like forward foot controls which necessitate the operator sitting on their tailbone...

And I'll bet you have about 11,000 other reasons not to buy a new Triumph!

--------------------
2011 Triumph America (10/2011 to 07/2014)
2012 Harley Davidson 1200C Sportster
2014 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

Dwight
Fe Butt

Re: 2018 Speedmaster [Re: outerbanks]
      #670455 - 09/27/17 09:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

(...but I wouldn't be interested in owning one, and because I've found I don't like forward foot controls which necessitate the operator sitting on their tailbone...

And I'll bet you have about 11,000 other reasons not to buy a new Triumph!

Well, I suppose if ya wanna put it THAT way OB, then I'd probably have 12,000 "other reasons" why I'd not buy one of your beloved Harley-Davidsons.

And, it would start with the thought that they're as ubiquitous* an item as anything out there.

(*-ubiquitous: adjective-- commonplace ; omnipresent i.e. as in every other swingin' dick out there already owns one)

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

mikemm03
Saddle Sore

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Tennessee
      #670601 - 10/03/17 12:10 PM

Here she is

--------------------
It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8

Calkins
Adjunct

Reged: 04/24/08
Loc: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Re: 2018 Speedmaster [Re: mikemm03]
      #670602 - 10/03/17 12:24 PM

Only a 3.1 gallon tank??? WTF...

--------------------
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11317

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage