BonnevilleAmerica.com | Forums Home | Photopost Archive | AUP | Disclaimer

General Motorcycle Forums >> Other Bikes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
findlay13
Loquacious

Reged: 06/25/09
Loc: Australia
Re: My new Speedmaster 1200 *DELETED* [Re: Peter_AU]
      #678709 - 08/01/19 04:41 AM

Post deleted by findlay13

--------------------
Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
findlay13
Loquacious

Re: My new Speedmaster 1200 [Re: findlay13]
      #678710 - 08/01/19 04:42 AM

I picked it up today but only rode it about 20kms.I'll be putting the Corbin on onSaturday I'll try to get a picture then .I do think the leather on the Corbin of today isn't of the same quality of the one I have on my America.That's 10 years old .I felt that a bit with the quality of the corbin I got for my 650 Vulcan too but I guess quality of everything has deteriorated a bit over time.It's still a good seat though IMO

https://scontent.fbne6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v...amp;oe=5DE249E7

I dropped the bars back another inch or so after this photo.I may change them all together yet.I'll see what happens

findlay13
Loquacious

Re: My new Speedmaster 1200 [Re: Alatamoc]
      #678711 - 08/01/19 04:54 AM

Yes I was Al.I was actually underwelmed when it did get here.It didn't seem to have the "oomph" that I remember from the Thai test ride ,Twitchy throttle and the engine feels strangled by the polluion gear.Pipes and an air filter would fix that I suppose.Maybe a re-map.It's smaller than I remembered too.but it'll be more my "Hooligan" bike and the America the " refined,elegant" cruiser.The Americas sell very cheaply second hand here and for what I'd get it's worht more to me to keep tha too for the time being.

--------------------
Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville

findlay13
Loquacious

#678722 - 08/02/19 12:28 AM

I was out on it today again and it seems to be running in nicely.I let her buck a little bit and there's definitely plenty of power there.

--------------------
Dinosaur.

Dwight
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: Sedona, Arizona
      #678726 - 08/02/19 05:52 PM

Quote:

I was out on it today again and it seems to be running in nicely.I let her buck a little bit and there's definitely plenty of power there.

Hmmmm...so, 790cc/865cc vs 1200cc we're talkin' about here, right Paul?

So lemme guess here. I'll bet you're feelin' like that beautiful shiny NEW bike of yours has JUST about half again as much power on tap as your OLD bike then, RIGHT?!

(...didn't know I was such a wiz at math, did ya!)

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

findlay13
Loquacious

Re: My new Speedmaster 1200 [Re: Dwight]
      #678728 - 08/03/19 03:35 AM

I spent the day putting on the Corbin I got[ through Fast Eddy] and the tail for a battery tender taking off the back pillion pad and adjusting the bars It's set up for me now and I like it.Yes Dwight quicker and more nimble than my America but I still reckon on a long trip,although the new speedmaster is capable,the America would be as good if not better.
The SM is definitely quicker off the mark and roll on acceleration but I think for cruising and not hooliganism my America is great

Negative things about the Speedmaster are the complicated design.The seat attaches like no other I've seen when a single bolt as on the America would have done. The battery is awkward to get to.Checking the oil level is hard as the sight glass is low down.The beach bars were wrong for me.The pillion pad is tiny.and I feel a little cramped compared to the America.
Positives .the great motor, quick handling.and maneuverability.

--------------------
Dinosaur.

findlay13
Loquacious

#678729 - 08/03/19 04:38 AM

I'm starting to think perhaps Triumph made this bike as a competitor to the 1,200cc Sportster? 12 litre tank same as the Sportster, small "Sportster like", short wheel base? Even with the corbin the seat it's still on the small side.

--------------------
Dinosaur.

PES
Bar Shake

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Tulsa,OK, USA
      #678732 - 08/03/19 11:58 AM

Quote:

I'm starting to think perhaps Triumph made this bike as a competitor to the 1,200cc Sportster?

But it has too be much faster and better handling than the Sportster. I rode a Sportster once and it was not even close to my TBA as far as handling and smoothness. As a matter of fact I thought it was a piece of crap.

--------------------
"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown

findlay13
Loquacious

Re: My new Speedmaster 1200 [Re: PES]
      #678737 - 08/03/19 08:05 PM

The worst bike I ever owned was a 1974 Ironhead Sportster a complete Lemon.

But I was just thinking out loud that the 1200cc Speedmaster may have been designed to go against the 1200cc Sportster.Same engine size and about the same overall size as I remember.The 1200 Speedmaster does handle though.

--------------------
Dinosaur.

findlay13
Loquacious

#679083 - 09/08/19 01:18 AM

https://scontent.fbne6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v...amp;oe=5DF974E6

https://scontent.fbne6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v...amp;oe=5E104592

With the corbin Peter and the back seat off.Like all my Corbins I had to mdiify it slightly.They rub on the monoshock so we built this one up with washers on the supposrting posts.This corbin is smaller than the one on the America The new Speedy is physically smaller overall

--------------------
Dinosaur.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1918

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage