BonnevilleAmerica.com | Forums Home | Photopost Archive | AUP | Disclaimer

General Motorcycle Forums >> Other Bikes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber [Re: outerbanks]
      #662951 - 12/04/16 09:15 AM

It is ironic motorcycle enthusiasts are discussing how impracticable Triumph's new bobber is since non-riders consider every motorcycle impracticable.

Suposably bobbers date back to the 1930s but the first ones I remember seeing and hearing about were the Harley WLAs of World War 2. H-D made over 90,000 and after the war the U.S. government damn near bankrupted Harley Davidson by selling brand new or slightly used surplus WLAs at give away prices. So how was Harley supposed to sell the civilian version of the same model for retail price. But now Harley Davidson honors those original WLA bobbers with the Softail Slim-S optional matte green and white star paint. Kick start and ride an original hard frame WLA and then buy and enjoy the new modern version, that is if you like riding more than wrenching. And adding a passenger seat and pegs or a swing arm bag or full saddlebags takes just a visit to the accessory book.

Edited by outerbanks (12/04/16 09:59 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
outerbanks
Adjunct

Reged: 11/27/11
Loc: Virginia Beach
Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber [Re: Alatamoc]
      #662954 - 12/04/16 09:47 AM

Quote:

They'll need to put a lot of work in to make the Thunderbird engine truly competitive in my view.
Even allowing for the possibility that mine was an exception ( hmmm,) I think the engine is just too ' clattery' to appeal to the average buyer.
I suspect the source of the racket is the decompresser bobweights on the end of the exhaust camshaft...mine simply rattled whenever the engine was revved..an irritating.horrible.unholy. row.
Frankly this sort of thing isn't excusable on a water-cooled engine....other makers have been getting right for decades.
I strongly suspect the factory road testers all wore well padded full face helmets.

I didn't notice any abnormal noise on the Thunderbird I test rode a couple of years ago but I wear a 3/4 helmets.

Tuck that radiator between the frame rails and really rework the style of the bike, give it 5 distinct models maybe even a softail version and deep rich paint with Triumph proudly and artfully displayed on the tank and hit the market. Well, maybe in America anyway I won't pretend to know what would work elsewhere. I'm telling you the Triumph brand has serious potential in America, more than Victory and possibly as much as Indian. The old timers who knew the original Indians have long since croaked or are well beyond their riding years (on average) not so the old Triumph fans. And honestly in the 60s if you didn't ride a Harley you rode a Triumph. The year I took my Triumph to Sturgis I got all positive remarks from some serious hard core bikers nothing negative, wouldn't try that with a Suzuki.

Oh, and Triumph has to do something about their dealer network in America. I don't know what the problem is but they'd better figure it out fast. I live near the largest military base on the east coast in a year 'round riding climate so the potential to sell motorcycles is huge. there are 4 Harley Davidson dealers (that sell bikes) 2 Polaris dealers 3 Honda dealers even the local BMW dealer sells only BMW motorcycles and is doing great. I'd have to ride 45 minutes away to get to the only Triumph dealer around and they sell 4 other brands. When I bought my TBA it was from the only Triumph/Harley Davidson dealer I know of and that was a 3 hour ride from home.

--------------------
2011 Triumph America (10/2011 to 07/2014)
2012 Harley Davidson 1200C Sportster
2014 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

Edited by outerbanks (12/04/16 10:10 AM)

Alatamoc
Learned Hand

Reged: 06/17/10
Loc: Tunbridge Wells. Kent U.K.
Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber [Re: outerbanks]
      #662957 - 12/04/16 12:42 PM

Please don't get me wrong...I'm a big fan of Triumph....and really wanted to like my Tbird LT.
And indeed it had the performance, the brakes, the handling and the comforts to make it a potential winner.
But....it was a dogs dinner of an engine....new cylinders and liners at 400( yes, 400) miles from new...and the rattles I v e mentioned.
And the dealer response was truly crap.
6 weeks telling me they all do that..followed by 3 months to rebuild the top end....and it still rattled.
They really just didn't care, or know their product.
Even the coffee machine in the shop was permanently broken and it was no one's job to fix it.
They need to sort all that stuff out.
For the money I paid I expect my dealer to trip over themselves to sort out any problems...not treat me like an imbecile.
We did not part company as friends.

--------------------
I took the Road Less Travelled.
Now where the ****** am I?

Alatamoc
Learned Hand

#662958 - 12/04/16 12:53 PM

Oh yes, whilst I'm having a whine....to get the belt drive to track true, you need to misalign the rear wheel...running with it tracked correctly results in an ineradicable squeak.....

--------------------

PES
Bar Shake

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Tulsa,OK, USA
      #662981 - 12/05/16 10:46 AM

Well I know a bunch of folks on the Thunderbird site who love their TBs. One guy has an SE and has over 110,000 miles on it and claims it's quiet as a Mouse and has never checked the valves. I've liked them so much I've had 2.

--------------------
"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown

Alatamoc
Learned Hand

Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber [Re: PES]
      #662984 - 12/05/16 12:24 PM

I know others have had trouble free TBirds....and indeed I wish them all well...this though was my own sad experience.....and I also know from the forums that I'm not alone in having had problems with these.
If it wasn't for own my woes they'd be my first choice in big cruisers....
Al

--------------------

mikemm03
Saddle Sore

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Tennessee
      #663173 - 12/13/16 01:58 PM

While this one still seems like an odd duck to me, this article claims they are pre selling like beer and hot dogs at a baseball game. I'll see this one Saturday night at the local "unveiling" What the heck. it's free beer and food and a chance to also see the 900 Scrambler.

I thought this review came off very straight forward without the normal fluff. Bobber ride review

--------------------
It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8

BillyIndiana
3/4 Throttle

Reged: 09/29/15
Loc: Lafayette, Indiana USA
Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber [Re: mikemm03]
      #663181 - 12/13/16 06:28 PM

Quote:

While this one still seems like an odd duck to me, this article claims they are pre selling like beer and hot dogs at a baseball game. I'll see this one Saturday night at the local "unveiling" What the heck. it's free beer and food and a chance to also see the 900 Scrambler.

I thought this review came off very straight forward without the normal fluff. Bobber ride review

Wife and I went to the show in Chicago. It was fun. They released the pricing today. $12,600.00 high end.
Triumph unveiling chicago

--------------------
Road Rash Heals. Freckles Grow Back. Ride

Edited by BillyIndiana (12/13/16 06:30 PM)

Funkletrumpet
Loquacious

Reged: 06/27/07
Loc: Northamptonshire, England
Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber [Re: mikemm03]
      #663186 - 12/14/16 03:15 AM

Quote:

At £10500 (still not listed on Triumph's website, that I can see) compared to possible rivals:

Victory Octane - £9799
•Indian Scout - £10499
•Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight - £9675
•Yamaha XV950 (Bolt) - £7199
•Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber/Roamer: £7999/£7899

mmm ...

--------------------
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet" : William Shakespeare

1985 Kawasaki GT750
2007 FLHTCU

BillyIndiana
3/4 Throttle

Reged: 09/29/15
Loc: Lafayette, Indiana USA
Re: 'Brutal Beauty' bobber [Re: Funkletrumpet]
      #663198 - 12/14/16 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

At £10500 (still not listed on Triumph's website, that I can see) compared to possible rivals:

Victory Octane - £9799
•Indian Scout - £10499
•Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight - £9675
•Yamaha XV950 (Bolt) - £7199
•Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber/Roamer: £7999/£7899

mmm ... [/quote

Oh there you go using logic again. I do like the fact that Triumph has some vision. Even if it is the ready made Bobber. Now if they could discover a thing called marketing and develop a distributorship life would be good. They did sell me a bike though.

--------------------
Road Rash Heals. Freckles Grow Back. Ride

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 27454

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage