General Motorcycle Forums >> Other Bikes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
findlay13
Loquacious

Reged: 06/25/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Honda rebel [Re: findlay13]
      #663937 - 01/18/17 11:08 PM

Well I finally got to sit on a 500cc Rebel today and it's not for me.I can reach the controls just but my knee position wouldn't allow me to travel far at all.I am going with buying a 650 Kawasaki Vulcan S as a bike for Thailand. Triumphs,as much as I'd love one,are just priced out of my reach in Thailand.The Bonneville 900 range is "reasonably" priced, but again I can't ride with mid-mount pegs anymore.

--------------------
Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ryk
Check Pants

Reged: 05/19/10
Loc: Pac. NW
Re: Honda rebel [Re: findlay13]
      #663939 - 01/18/17 11:19 PM

Paul, it sounds like you need a knee replacement, or have you been medically advised against it, at this time?

findlay13
Loquacious

Reged: 06/25/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Honda rebel [Re: Ryk]
      #663946 - 01/19/17 04:31 AM

Yes Ryk, I've had a bung knee since a car smashed into my brand new Triumph tiger in 1971 and broke my leg just above the knee.It's gotten progressively worse [last operation in 1988]and now after 9 years since I first saw the current surgeon ,She says it's now up to me when I want it done.It'll take about 9 months wait.Also my "good"knee has started to give trouble after all this time carrying the bung one. BUT and here's the big BUT.I know a couple of smaller guys who've had it done and say Great,Go for it but I also know two fatter guys [like me] who've done it.One has had it done for three years and has been back every year for operations.The other guy had two knees replaced. One is good as gold but the other has had 7 operations because they can't get it right.Now there's pins and screws etc.in that one and it's still not fixed.
SO,while I was trying to hold off until I get to 65[two more years]because they give them a 10-15 year life.I'm also scared it could make matters worse.According to the Surgeon it's a 90% success rate,BUT that' still 1 in 10 fail.AND Knowing how lucky I am! It's getting to the stage where maybe I'll HAVE to go for it though.I will really have to weigh my options .If it doesn't work,it could finish my bike riding and I don't want to think about that possibility!
Sorry for such a long winded reply, but talk about a rock and a hard place!

--------------------
Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5143

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage