Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Speedmaster05
Loquacious

Reged: 04/23/06
Loc: NJ USA
Re: 2018 Gold Wing [Re: Dwight]
      #672276 - 02/10/18 04:29 AM

Quote:

...BUT, and with this being said, I'm STILL hot as hell for the Indian Springfield, and which admittedly doesn't have all the bells and whistles that this latest Goldwing has and which I understand is close to being the same weight as the Honda, but which I would guess still would be pretty damn good for taking a thousand mile or more trip on anyway...and besides, I THINK the Indian Springfield is just about the "coolest" lookin' retro-styled MOTORCYCLE out there today...THAT of course you sit ON and RIDE around ON, and not IN and DRIVE around IN!)

Before there was an Indian Springfield, my buddy turned his Indian Classic into basically the first Springfield. He added windshield, hard bags and engine guards. He puts a lot of miles on it. Last year he rode with us from his home in New York to the Rio Grande and back - over 6,000 miles. Bulletproof.
In Indian Red, of course.

--------------------
Kevin - Luceo Non Uro

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Zmilin
Check Pants

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: Sammamish, Washington - USA
Re: 2018 Gold Wing [Re: Speedmaster05]
      #677931 - 06/01/19 05:21 PM

I ended up buying a 19 Tour DCT about a week ago. Im loving it so far.
The tech is crazy on this bike but in reality its mostly convenience stuff (much like going from a car with window cranks to one with power windows). In the end the biggest item that sets this bike apart is the DCT trans. Really odd to ride with no clutch or foot shifter BUT you get used to it after a few rides.

On the road the CG is so low it feels like its on a rail. Its easy to lean, get into a corner and that torque is just always there. Sport mode is damn right surprising but once you get used to it it can be fun. One thing I have learned is that if Im on a road thats going to get twisty I will manually downshift (thumb) before getting to my lean. The rain mode is fantastic! I had to ride it home with 1 mile on the rubber in the rain and was pretty concerned about that. It never even twitched on the wet with new rubber.

I also have to give the ABS brakes a huge thumbs up. I had to put them to the test the day after on my first ride. After first time I gave them the test a few more times when I was clear just to see how it brakes and all I can say is impressive and reassuring.

All in all I do miss my Triumph but the wing is fun. It'll never be as "cool" as the America was but its a damn fun bike to ride.

--------------------
SOLD: 07 Black BA, 39mm FCRs, TPUSA stage 1 head, TPUSA 813 cams, TPUSA 10.8:1 pistons, TTP #3 igniter, Specialty Spares Long Cannons, Tsukayu Hard Bags. 82HP/55tq

NEW: 19 Goldwing Tour DCT

Dwight
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Re: 2018 Gold Wing [Re: Zmilin]
      #677973 - 06/02/19 04:15 PM

Quote:

I ended up buying a 19 Tour DCT about a week ago. Im loving it so far.
The tech is crazy on this bike but in reality its mostly convenience stuff (much like going from a car with window cranks to one with power windows). In the end the biggest item that sets this bike apart is the DCT trans. Really odd to ride with no clutch or foot shifter BUT you get used to it after a few rides.

On the road the CG is so low it feels like its on a rail. Its easy to lean, get into a corner and that torque is just always there. Sport mode is damn right surprising but once you get used to it it can be fun. One thing I have learned is that if Im on a road thats going to get twisty I will manually downshift (thumb) before getting to my lean. The rain mode is fantastic! I had to ride it home with 1 mile on the rubber in the rain and was pretty concerned about that. It never even twitched on the wet with new rubber.

I also have to give the ABS brakes a huge thumbs up. I had to put them to the test the day after on my first ride. After first time I gave them the test a few more times when I was clear just to see how it brakes and all I can say is impressive and reassuring.

All in all I do miss my Triumph but the wing is fun. It'll never be as "cool" as the America was but its a damn fun bike to ride.

Congrats on the purchase of one of these amazing bikes, Z!

Your review here sounds very much like almost every motojouralist's I've ever read of these new Wings.

(...in other words, glowing!)

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bennybmn, mert, chy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2595

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage