Rider Safety Forums >> Riding Technique

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
findlay13
Loquacious

Reged: 06/25/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Warm up techniques [Re: The_Dog33]
      #675051 - 08/11/18 04:52 AM

I start the bike vertically with the choke fully open.after a half a minute or so I push it about half way in.Then another half to full minute all the way it.Let it run for another minute then go gently for the first mile or so.I read that it takes 3 minutes for oil to reach operating temperature and you should be good to go.The times are guesstimates

--------------------
Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ladisney
New Tires

Reged: 01/12/05
Loc: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Re: Warm up techniques [Re: luvdemstillers]
      #675320 - 08/30/18 10:02 PM

The choke on the America is not really a choke. It simply adds a little more fuel to the mix which is helpful while the engine is cold. A real choke restricts the air flow and causes a higher fuel to air ratio while it is on. It also causes the engine to run like crap once it warms up. The bike will stall if you give it too much throttle with the choke on with a warm engine.

The carburated America, on the other hand, will run just fine with the "choke" on all day but your fuel mileage will be reduced and it will idle much faster. It will eliminate the lean popping at idle while decelerating in gear because of the extra fuel being dumped into the carbs. I've gotten into the habit of shutting it off almost as soon as the engine starts. On just a couple of occasions I've forgotten to do so when I've immediately gotten on the highway. The bike runs just fine but I've had to switch to reserve much quicker. If I have to stop I notice it because it idles at about 3,000 rpm.

--------------------
The difference between stupid and genius is genius has limits. - Albert Einstein.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  mert, freedom 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1702

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage