Technical Forums >> General Tech

Pages: 1
Bruce
Adjunct

Reged: 03/17/07
Loc: Georgia
Valve shims
      #675028 - 08/09/18 10:56 AM

Tore my 06 America down for it's 4th valve shim check. I needed two 3.075 shims so I went down to the closest Triumph dealer 75 miles away to see if they have any. As usual they didn't have the part I needed, not sure why I even go there anymore. I would have called first but they don't have a parts counter guy anymore so a service tech comes out from the service bay area to handle customers coming in for parts. He said they didn't have any but could order them and I would have to buy the whole pack not just the amount I needed. Don't you think that if they don't have any that they too would want some for the next customer? As I was standing there I saw a sign on the wall that said labor rate $47.50, I thought that was pretty good till I squinted my eyes and looked at the small print, that was per half hour. I ended up going through Hermys, they didn't have any in stock either so they had to order them but are at least willing to sell me only what I needed. I know it is a good thing to shop and buy locally, even if it is 75 miles away, but I'm starting to find it is easier to do business over the internet than with a person. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe customer service in the US is a thing of the past, especially if you are dealing with AT&T.

--------------------
'06 America, Raask foot controls, the bike use to be Graphite and Silver, now its Red and Black.

Edited by Bruce (08/09/18 11:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldroadie
Worn Saddle

Reged: 05/05/07
Loc: Alabama USA
Re: Valve shims [Re: Bruce]
      #675031 - 08/09/18 03:14 PM

They’re the same as Yamaha shims. Go see your local Yammy guy and he can fix you up.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Bruce
Adjunct

Reged: 03/17/07
Loc: Georgia
Re: Valve shims [Re: oldroadie]
      #675042 - 08/10/18 09:07 AM

Quote:

They’re the same as Yamaha shims. Go see your local Yammy guy and he can fix you up.

The local Yamaha guy is a little farther away than the Triumph guy, 75 miles, and he doesn't stock them either. He orders them as needed.

--------------------
'06 America, Raask foot controls, the bike use to be Graphite and Silver, now its Red and Black.

The_Dog33
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/01/07
Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Valve shims [Re: Bruce]
      #675047 - 08/10/18 04:07 PM

What kind of shops are these? I can't believe Hermy didn't have any in stock! Before my local yamaha shop closed he had both new and used to choose from.

--------------------
I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
some shots of our bikes

Gregger
Loquacious

Reged: 04/07/07
Loc: Timmins, Ontario
Re: Valve shims [Re: The_Dog33]
      #675113 - 08/16/18 10:06 PM

When I needed 25mm shims for my Rocket, I contacted the 4 Triumph dealerships in Ontario along with several Jap bike dealerships and no one could fill my order for 4 shims. I contacted a maw and paw shop called Moto Montreal in Quebec and they had everything in stock. Overnight shipped. That's the 3rd time I have contacted them for shims and they had all on hand . One dealership in Hamilton Ontario (Sturgess) was willing to swap shims but they couldn't guarantee they had the shims I needed in their collection and I wasn't about to drive for 10 hours to find out.

--------------------
12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750

Ryk
Check Pants

Reged: 05/19/10
Loc: Pac. NW
Re: Valve shims [Re: Gregger]
      #675116 - 08/17/18 10:34 AM

Ebay sells our valve shims, even half sizes for us anal retentive types. They don't give them away, know what sizes you need.

b717doc
Learned Hand

Reged: 02/21/06
Loc: Douglasville Georgia
Re: Valve shims [Re: Ryk]
      #676634 - 01/10/19 07:13 PM

In my experience, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it....trust me. You will know if there’s a problem with valves, either no compression or Ridiculously loud pinging, other than that, I wouldn’t touch it...

Edited by b717doc (01/10/19 07:16 PM)

The_Dog33
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/01/07
Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Valve shims [Re: b717doc]
      #676650 - 01/11/19 03:48 PM

With that approach you are asking for burned valves or damaged seats or both.

--------------------
I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
some shots of our bikes

Gregger
Loquacious

Reged: 04/07/07
Loc: Timmins, Ontario
Re: Valve shims [Re: The_Dog33]
      #676770 - 01/20/19 01:20 PM

Agreed Ian. If you wait until you have no compression.... you will need a valve job. If the valves weren't meant to be adjusted, Triumph wouldn't have included shims in the manufacturing process.

--------------------
12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  chy, mert, bennybmn 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 740

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage