Technical Forums >> Accessories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
philwarner
Adjunct

Reged: 02/24/12
Loc: Northwest Arkansas
TEC Bike Parts center stand?
      #550162 - 02/26/12 11:05 AM

Anyone installed a TEC Bike Parts center stand on their America? I like the idea of a center stand, but how easy is it to get the bike up? I find the side stand hard to reach, but at 5'6" 150 pounds with a 32" inseam I wonder if I have the oomph and clearance get my 04 America up on a center stand either astride or beside.

I started out years ago on a Yamaha Sport 305 with both a side and a center stand, and I could easily put it on the center stand from the left side, but that was many years and a lot of wear and tear ago.

--------------------
Phil in Northwest Arkansas
04 America, Black, Corbin seat, TORs, no AI, 34K

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dobs
Complete Newb

Reged: 03/15/11
Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand? [Re: philwarner]
      #550176 - 02/26/12 01:41 PM

I've got a centre stand from Norman Hyde here in the UK that I have used for over a year. He also does a grab handle a bit like on a BMW. It works well and I can even put it on the stand when fully loaded. Never caught it on the road either so must be well designed.

--------------------
Triumph America - so that you can still reach the ground when your legs get shorter but you are still not ready for a Hardly Ableto!

FriarJohnAdministrator
"Lighten up, Francis."

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: East Helena, Montana
Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand? [Re: dobs]
      #550189 - 02/26/12 03:08 PM

I thought Dwight bought one of their stands off ebay.

--------------------
BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com

philwarner
Adjunct

Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand? [Re: dobs]
      #550195 - 02/26/12 03:31 PM

Quote:

I've got a centre stand from Norman Hyde here in the UK that I have used for over a year. He also does a grab handle a bit like on a BMW. It works well and I can even put it on the stand when fully loaded. Never caught it on the road either so must be well designed.

They have a web site at http://tecbikeparts.com/Triumph_parts_7.html and show a lifting handle there that looks just like the one at the Norman Hyde site so it may be a US outlet of the same company.

I started riding 35 years ago on a Yamaha Sport 305 that came with both side and center stands with a lifting handle built into the frame, and I could easily put it on the center stand from the left side with a combination of pressing down on the 305 center standís welded on arm with my foot while lifting up and back on the lifting handle; The center stand's arm had a bend on the end that acted as a lever to help lift as you pressed down with your foot, but I donít see a similar shape on this standís arm.

So you did get the lifting handle? Does it take a lot of brute force to lift the bike up or does it lift up and back easily? Any idea how much force is required? A center stand would make things like checking the oil a lot easier with the bike upright.

--------------------

Ted
Adjunct

Reged: 09/08/06
Loc: Western, Massachusetts
Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand? [Re: philwarner]
      #550215 - 02/26/12 05:45 PM

Phil: I was really annoyed that my 02 America didn't come with a center stand. Mostly because it made it difficult to work on my chain. But they weren't even available then.
I've never worried about the oil level. The bike just doesn't leak or burn oil. And if I was worried, it wasn't too hard to pull it up while checking the level. What I ended up doing was buying a bike/atv lift from Sears for $100 bucks. I can service my chain and work on the rest of my bike easily. Lifting it up makes it a lot easer to wash
too.
Ted

--------------------
Send lawyers, guns and money, cause the sh*t has hit the fan!

-W. Zevon

02 Bonnie America, Red

philwarner
Adjunct

Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand? [Re: Ted]
      #550244 - 02/26/12 09:05 PM

Quote:

Phil: I was really annoyed that my 02 America didn't come with a center stand. Mostly because it made it difficult to work on my chain. But they weren't even available then.
Ted

I got an answer from Dave at tecbikeparts saying they are not affiliated with Norman Hyde and their products are not the same. He didn't know how much force it took to lift an America on their stand but said no one had complained and they offer a full refund if you are not satisfied.

I also saw a center stand on the fast eddy site at http://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&product_id=27 that has an arm more like my old 305's stand that you can step on to help lift the bike, but it is also $100 more than the tecbikeparts stand. I might consider buying tec's and adding to or replacing its arm if it is too heavy for me.

--------------------

philwarner
Adjunct

Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand followup [Re: philwarner]
      #550442 - 02/28/12 08:05 AM

I saw the discount offer from tecbikeparts' Dave hill that FriarJohn posted in the vendor's section and I ordered a center stand kit and lifting handle from Dave. With the 10% discount it was like getting the lifting handle free.

I'll report the results when I get them installed.

--------------------

Soren
Should be Riding

Reged: 01/12/05
Loc: Beaverton, OR
Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand followup [Re: philwarner]
      #551600 - 03/07/12 09:35 AM

You got it installed yet? I'm anxious to hear about it and see pics. I emailed them (through ebay) if they had pics or why I should buy theirs instead of the Rivco or Norman Hyde, and price was about all they could tell me.

--------------------
ēTriumph Connection

Dwight
Fe Butt

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand followup [Re: Soren]
      #551609 - 03/07/12 10:37 AM

Soren, I purchased one of these a few months back, and I here was my review of it in an earlier thread....

http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/forums/...part=3&vc=1

Btw, there is one addendum I will add to my earlier positive review here, and that would be that since stating in that earlier review that I haven't grounded the stand's deployment lever in left-leaning twisties, I now have done so in a few instances when I'm REALLY leanin' my bike over into 'em at considerable speed.

(...but then again, I've only done that on "my own personal little racetrack", aka a particular section AZ HWY-89 known as White Spar Pass near my home here in Prescott, and where I know every foot of this 14 mile section of this highway...if ya catch my drift!)

--------------------
Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)

FriarJohnAdministrator
"Lighten up, Francis."

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: East Helena, Montana
Re: TEC Bike Parts center stand followup [Re: Dwight]
      #551618 - 03/07/12 01:36 PM

How jarring was the scrape? Any worse than pegs or footboards?

--------------------
BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  moe, Dinqua, freedom 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1513

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement BonnevilleAmerica.com Homepage