There is a DIY kit available from Bellacorse. Anyone tried one of these? Probably the commercial version of the ghetto freak.
I used this kit along with the ghetto freak instructions. It was fairly easy to do and did not take much time at all. I wanted to keep the stock look and the airbox to store my new shark amplifier. First I got the airbox out (following the ghetto freak instructions). After removing the airbox, cut the front of the box out (the part that was attached to the carbs) making sure to keep any needed screw holes or attachment points I needed to. After that I cut out the entire bottom section and the baffle that was inside the airbox. I replaced the bottom of the airbox with a small square of tin using epoxy to glue the tin in place. I cut a rectangle section out of the side of the airbox (on the America cover side). This allows me access to my amplifier by simply removing the America side cover. I also drilled a few holes in the bottom of the airbox to allow any water to drain. My amplifier is said to be water proof so I am not too concerned with it getting wet, I just do not want it submerged in water.
If I were just using the airbox as storage or just keeping the stock look but adding pods this would have taken me no time at all. I was adding speakers, the amplifier, rejetting and adding a 12v adapter all at the same time. Waiting for the epoxy to dry, running the added wires, and making arrangements to fit the amplifier all took extra time. I did the tear down Friday after work (could have had it all done on Friday if I were just doing the ghetto freak). This included all the cutting of the airbox, adding the tin to the bottom of the airbox to make it a flat surface, changing my oil/filter, adding the diy freak kit and rejetting.
I had to wait 24 hours for my epoxy to reach its full strength so I went about Saturday slow. I ran all my needed wires, speakers, wired remote ECT. Saturday evening I put the air box back in, added my amplifier and put the bike back together. I ran into a problem when I went to put my hard saddlebags back on. My bolts had some thin threads on them and I decided I had better replace them with upgraded bolts. The stores were closed, but I was able to start the bike and take it on a test run without my saddlebags. Everything worked great. Sunday after Church I got my needed bolts, got the saddlebags back on and road again just to make sure everything worked just as well as it did Saturday.
I did have one issue before I started this project. Bellacorse sent me 135 main jets. He said he did not trust the online calculators and wanted me to start with 135’s and tune it from there. Well I had already gone from 124’s (Toro’s, stock filter, snorkel in and not drilled) to 137.5 (JC Whitney’s, uni single, removed snorkel and drilled airbox). I contacted eddy and he sent me a set of 150’s (I already have 155’s, 145’s, 140’s and a few other sizes from other projects over the years. The calculator says to use 155’s but I went with 150’s and will dial it in using my sparkplugs as my guide.
I did not take pictures of my build as I followed the instructions already on the site. Instead of fabbing up holders and things as the instructions did, I just made note of what holes and tabs I needed, took my time and cut around them. I will try to get pictures of the end result up when I can.
Hopes this helps anyone looking at adding pods. I can notice a difference by way of butt dyno. I am just awaiting for my mpg to go to crap now. I had been getting 49-53 on the hwy and 42-46 city (both using US Gallons and miles) we shall see how bad the larger jets hit me. Hope I can keep my wrist from twisting.
07 TBA, 32" Turnouts, DIY Freak, hard saddlebags, 18" screen, dresser bars, highway pegs, floorboards, fog lights, amber run/turn lights front, red run/turn/stop lights back, blue speedo/tach lights, LED console lights